New to boats- picked up a 10' jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingIsFishy

Reaction score
IMG_4594.JPG

Been thinking about getting a boat for a while, finally found a good deal at the same time I had extra cash in my pocket...

The boat is a 10' jon boat, registration says it's a 1956, lists the make as "FLATBOTTOM". Picked up a used 45 lb thrust trolling motor, and a set of used oars. Gonna have to modify the oars to fit this boat, should be able to make them work...

Of course the previous owner said it doesn't leak, we'll see what happens when I put it in the water... he also said it is rated for 350 lbs, and a 3.5 horse motor, but the tag is missing... is there a way to verify that? It does have a tag on the bow with an ID number, I'll have to google it and see if it can reveal any information...

I plan on using the boat for fishing on small lakes/large ponds. It fits nicely in the back of my truck, and I can easily carry it to the water... should be fun!

Feel free to share your thoughts!

Welcome to rung 1 of the boat and accessories ladder! Always a great time, and the inevitable "I'll just upgrade this 1 thing" continuum just makes it more so!

As for capacity, here are a couple links for rough estimates.

https://jonboatplanet.com/average-jon-boat-weight-capacity-with-examples-by-length/

https://www.boat-ed.com/pennsylvania/studyGuide/Calculating-Capacity-and-the-Capacity-Plate/101039_101039022/

Enjoy the ride!

You lucky duck!
I've been looking for a 10 footer for some time.
What I was going to do was take some 2 inch aluminum angle stock and bolt it to the back with the flat sides facing each other, two of them, around two feet apart. Then get some one inch square tubing, like off an old bimini top. and make some fold up wheels so I could roll it down to the water, put the boat in, and then raise the wheels and go fishing. I have a nice 14 ft semi-vee for the bigger lakes but a 10 or even an 8 ft'er would be the nuts for ponds.

Well, I got some better oar locks from a friend... I put the boat in the river this afternoon and... it leaks...

Found the hole, was a small spot at the back of one of the ribs on the bottom. Patched it up with some marine epoxy, but it will be dark before it cures... will have to go back out tomorrow and see if it holds...

Took the boat up the river... patch held, but not sure if I trust it long term- I picked at it when I got home and was able to peel some of the epoxy off... I think I'm gonna see if I can find a shop to TIG it for me...

Did some fishing from the boat, didn't catch anything but had a good size fish jump clean out of the water about 6 feet from the boat... water's high and murky from rain, probably need live bait to get any action...

Finally got a new battery for the trolling motor! I tried taking my wife and son out. Found out 2 things- the boat isn’t big enough for all of us, and there’s a hole that is above the water line with just me in the boat, but is close to the water line with the battery and motor on board, and below the water line with the family in the boat.

The day I attempted to take the family out we began taking on water fairly quickly, so I immediately went back in and we rented a canoe instead so we could all get out on the water.

Went out again today by myself (with motor). The motor seems to be a good match for the boat! I think I’m going to replace the wood on the transom and fix the hole (which is on the transom). The current transom wood is a chunk of 2x6 that doesn’t really fit well...

Still haven’t caught any fish in this boat... hopefully that will change soon...

Edit- forgot to mention I permanently fixed the first leak I found with some aluminum “welding” rods and a plumber’s torch...

Well, it’s time to sell this boat… ever since I tried to take the whole family out and failed I realized I wanted something I can fit the whole family in, and today I brought a boat home that is definitely big enough for all of us! I’ll have to start a thread on the “new” boat tomorrow (too dark for pictures now). I’ve also got a lead on selling this boat through a friend… we will see if that pans out…

Why did I see that coming ?? When I got to FL in Feb., I bought a 12 ft pointy nose skiff to run around the canals, streams and lakes in....similar to what I owned 40 years ago.

Well, I'm not the man I was 40 years ago and found the thing to be far too tippy and confined. Even fell out of it trying to start the motor in a stagnant canal. Yuck. Found a 16 ft Starcraft tin boat that I've fixed up and the 1st few runs with it have proven it to be a good choice. It's light enuf to where I can still manhandle it around if I run aground somewhere and it's far more stable and secure....and my dog loves it.

The 12 footer is for sale now.

It looks like this boat is going to stay in the family- was talking with my dad and he said he is interested in it and it would be a good fit for him and the places he likes to fish.

Latest posts