What to look for on used jet motor.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 21074

Reaction score
I may have switched gears and possibly looking at a used 90’s Evinrude jet and is there a few simple things I can look at to check besides obvious damage?The motors themselves are always questionable on any used and older motor.Would want to do compression check and check it out also.

You want to check the liner up inside the jet to see if it smooth or marked up with any deep scratches or grooves. The liner is replaceable but any wear will affect performance. Also look for any damage to the leading edges of the impeller. If you can, it would be nice to measure the impeller clearance but I'm not sure if you can do that with the grates on the foot. You could also check the grease in the main bearing by having the seller pump some new grease in to see what the old grease looks like coming out of the hose. There is a short hose that loops around and that's where the grease fitting is and the bearing inside. If the grates are bent up, they can be removed and straightened out most of the time.

You can see the hose looped in this picture.

Attachments

• flush_bolt.jpg
    flush_bolt.jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 670

Latest posts