Second boat, added 2 feet!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomethingIsFishy

Reaction score
A01DD7A0-DBF2-4E39-9755-1807C772E86D.jpeg

422C16D2-10B6-4463-96D6-2627F21DF4EC.jpeg

6530EB54-BDDB-4A24-8CD8-A99331FF4998.jpeg

Picked this up yesterday because I decided my 10’ Jon boat wasn’t big enough…

I need a trailer, and I’m not sure what the motor needs… previous owner put a fuel pump on it to convert it from a pressurized tank… he said he got it to run, but it didn’t run very well… I’ve got almost 20 years experience as an automotive mechanic so I’m sure I can get it going (unless there’s something catastrophic wrong)…

I’ll post updates (and probably a lot of questions about the motor) as I work on it…

Messed around with the motor a little tonight, wanted to see if I could get it to make some noise… it has spark and compression but I couldn’t get it to fire… looks like I’m going into the carburetor…

Took the boat out the other day with the trolling motor… (electric-only river). We had fun, and the boat did well!

04CAA8A0-CD04-47F9-989A-322C36029A78.jpeg

Still need a few minor things for the evinrude… the previous owner has to dig the fuel tank out of his shed, and I will have to get fuel lines. I’ve also got to change the oil in the lower unit and I’m seriously considering just replacing the impeller as a precaution even though it pumps water just fine…

F9DB4EC8-0B66-4938-BA3A-E4CF4C0F2439.jpeg

Guess what I get to do! Since I’m going in to do the seals I’m obviously going to do the water pump while I’m in there…

Edit- magic oil/water mix flows sideways. No idea why my pics randomly post sideways…

Make sure & replace shift rod oring too. That was the hardest one to do, I had to drive it out with a punch.

I have had good response from Marineengines.com. Their online parts catalogs are a big help in figuring out what you need. You might be able to find it cheaper elsewhere, but they may not have the same level of service.

I’m seriously considering just replacing the impeller as a precaution even though it pumps water just fine…​

GREAT thinking.

I love the rig, and the motor, especially.

Be safe.

=D> =D>

Well, I had some time to take the boat out this morning… it’s got issues…

It doesn’t like to idle. It will cough and sometimes die, but as soon as you give it throttle it smooths out. I expected this though, I had the carb off to access the sediment bowl to fix a leak and I’m sure I didn’t get the low speed needle set right. Not a big deal. Worst case I have to break down and buy a carb kit…

I think the second issue is more serious. It “slips”, almost like a slipping clutch in a car, sort of. At first I was just putting around and it was doing fine, then I opened it up and got up on plane and she was moving along pretty good! I slowed down and pulled my phone out of my pocket to get some video… I put the boat back up on plane and it was cruising along and all of a sudden popped out of gear. I quickly backed off the throttle and it grabbed again. I was able to putt back to the launch, but if I tried to give it any power it would slip (motor revs but boat doesn’t accelerate). Just letting off the throttle would allow it to grab again but not with any bang or clunk. I’ll have to upload the video…

So I have some work to do, but once I get these things sorted out it should be a fun boat!

Well that’s not good…

7B714352-7F1A-4E32-9E50-8F2025B567B4.jpeg

0E609C34-753F-4D76-9EAE-26039C176142.jpeg

F7321051-3131-4AE3-AB30-B2DC6F9A1244.jpeg

View attachment 3

Several broken teeth on the drive gear. I’m guessing a broken tooth was stuck in the shift linkage/fork somewhere and keeping it from fully engaging the forward gear. Looked up a new gear… I know boat stuff is expensive but $200 for a little gear was a bit of sticker-shock!!

Attachments

• 34F2837D-60B9-4FA0-93DD-96CE86F2B9A5.jpeg
    34F2837D-60B9-4FA0-93DD-96CE86F2B9A5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108

Latest posts