Add YOUR voice to the Federal Ethanol Mandate - Comment now!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bart said:
Done. The whole idea is crazy. The energy required to boil alcohol out of sour mash just seems counter productive.

It's not about efficiency or the environment. ADM, the world's largest agricultural company lobbied for ethanol in fuel so they could sell more corn. Big corn producing states got behind it demanding that their senators and congressmen push the EPA to require ethanol to prop up corn prices. Like most laws and regulations that come out of DC, politicians are passing laws (or demanding regulations) so they can get campaign money from the people who make money off of the law or regulation. Just the normal process of selling votes to the highest bidder.

maintenanceguy said:
ADM, the world's largest agricultural company

Archer Daniels Midland is not the world's largest agricultural company. Cargill is.

Cargill is an American privately held global food corporation based in Minnetonka, Minnesota, and incorporated in Wilmington, Delaware. Founded in 1865, it is the largest privately held corporation in the United States in terms of revenue. If it were a public company, it would rank, as of 2015, number 15 on the Fortune 500, behind McKesson and ahead of AT&T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargill

Agriculture, food processing and distribution is the single largest industry on earth, far larger than the global oil industry. It is just not incorporated under one umbrella on the stock exchanges. Ethanol is actually a win for everybody - the starch is used to make ethanol, which supplies 10% of our gasoline supply, the protein-rich byproduct called distillers grain goes to the beef and pork industry so you can all enjoy hamburgers, steaks and pork chops. Corn is the largest and most important crop on earth in terms of gross tonnage for the world's food supply, and is the world's most-produced grain. Wheat is #2.

C&K said:
maintenanceguy said:
ADM, the world's largest agricultural company

Agriculture, food processing and distribution is the single largest industry on earth, far larger than the global oil industry. It is just not incorporated under one umbrella on the stock exchanges. Ethanol is actually a win for everybody - the starch is used to make ethanol, which supplies 10% of our gasoline supply, the protein-rich byproduct called distillers grain goes to the beef and pork industry so you can all enjoy hamburgers, steaks and pork chops. Corn is the largest and most important crop on earth in terms of gross tonnage for the world's food supply, and is the world's most-produced grain. Wheat is #2.

And new plastics - I worked in IT at Cargill Headquarters...while I was there, Cargill Research Division in cooperation with DOW Chemical developed a plastic that uses the remains of corn-milling...stuff they use to throw away.

It's the basis for that biodegradable plastic that's starting to become popular.

It was developed back in 1998...tells you how long things 'sit on a shelf' before coming to market.

MN Fisher said:
And new plastics - I worked in IT at Cargill Headquarters...while I was there, Cargill Research Division in cooperation with DOW Chemical developed a plastic that uses the remains of corn-milling...stuff they use to throw away.

Oh, Cargill is huge.

Cargill reports revenues of $114.695 billion and earnings of $3.103 billion in 2018. Employing over 166,000 employees in 66 countries, it is responsible for 25% of all United States grain exports. The company also supplies about 22% of the US domestic meat market, importing more product from Argentina than any other company, and is the largest poultry producer in Thailand. All the eggs used in US McDonald's restaurants pass through Cargill's plants. It is the only US producer of Alberger process salt, which is used in the fast-food and prepared food industries.

Sue Cargill used to be our neighbor for many years before she passed away in 2010. The McMillan and Cargill families still own the company and Sue served on the Board for 10 years before she passed. It was always said that when Sue wanted something done she'd make a phone call direct to the governor at the State Capital and it got done, no arguments, no questions asked.

The U.S. has not realized even a fraction of the billions of gallons of ethanol we could produce. The U.S. produced 17.3 billion gallons, which is 1.1 million barrels per day, of ethanol in 2020. The U.S. exported 1.33 billion gallons of it to 90 countries on all six inhabited continents on earth last year. It is not a small industry.

Funny thing is I just changed jobs and now I rely on ethanol in gasoline for my paycheck. But I still don't want it in my old 2 stroke or in something that will sit for a long time. Luckily we still have one place in town we can get ethanol free gas.

Latest posts