jon boat floor help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricblue

Reaction score
I just bought a Seaark 1652 and want to do a floor. Everything I have seen on youtube has a flat bottom. On mine when you get to the front it rises up. Id like to keep the floor flat and as low as possible. I dont want to jack the back up and lose all that space. Was thinking about using 2 sheets of thinner plywood to have it bow up in the front. Does anybody have a solution or come across this?

You can use .100 aluminum. It should be flexible enough to allow some rise. You can back it up on the under side with some of that 2 inch pink foam panels that the box stores sell for insulation.

electricblue said:
I priced 1/8 aluminum it was 650$. Gonna have to stick to wood for now.
You don't need that thick, as I bought sheets of 5052 alloy @ 0.086" thick for $86 per panel, but was a few years ago. For what you're doing I'd be more inclined to use a sheet of Luan soaked out in wetting/penetrating epoxy. And I'd cover it w/ marine vinyl, but then I prefer vinyl to carpet, as lighter and lasts 4-5 times longer.

Wow, with the price of the aluminum that high, I think I would wait until it comes back down before doing anything. The weight of the plywood probably isn't worth it. My Lowe had the floor option which is nice (as well as a center console). It does have the bend to it as you get farther to the front. The big issue with the aluminum floor was that it got too hot (my boat sits out in the sun at a dock) so I had to put some vinyl flooring down to be able to walk on it barefoot.

Attachments

• Lowe_1652_4a.JPG
    Lowe_1652_4a.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 1,451
wow, I had no idea cost for aluminum had gotten that high. I'd wait till they come back down to something more sane.

electricblue said:
I priced 1/8 aluminum it was 650$. Gonna have to stick to wood for now.

Thoughts on polyethylene foam?
About $150 to get several 4x4 sheets to fill & cover between middle & rear seat
(and if you remember that "Candid Camera" episode with the
soft foam under the carpet, you just dated yourself :)

https://www.foambymail.com/XPE2/cross-linked-polyethylene-foam-2lb.html

-W

You can get the pink or blue foam at most big box hardware stores.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
You can get the pink or blue foam at most big box hardware stores.

Rigid polystyrene (i.e. insulation) won't hold up to being walked on.
The polyethylene foam is flexible, so it's like walking on a hard cushion (easier on bare feet).
And it doesn't rattle like composite deck boards would on a Sunday afternoon.

Don’t skimp you will regret it. Rebuilding an 1872 SeaArk now. Check out my thread, I’m documenting process with video. It’s in this sub forum.

Latest posts