Cutting a tunnel-cost guesstimate?

fishing66

Post by fishing66 »

Ranchero50 wrote:If you extend the spray shield back over the jet foot it will help keep it from drawing air on launch.
Thanks for the tip. I've seen photos where folks have done this and it is definitely on the "to do" list. I had the boat out yesterday afternoon for the first time. It did not cavitate with the motor way up, but the nose of the boat was running too high while on plane. We dropped the motor down by about 3/4 of an inch and the nose came down. Some more experimenting is needed to find the right setting. In terms of running shallow, well, I mis-read a riffle and went into the wrong fork.....the water was only three inches deep and I cringed in expectation of the dreaded "BANG!"....there may have been one tiny bump but my buddy said he felt nothing and we were in two feet of water seconds later. Too soon to say that the job came out perfect, but so far, so good. PS, smallmouths LOVE the Whopper Plopper :D

Tbradley

Post by Tbradley »

Any more updates on the mod?

fishing66

Post by fishing66 »

Tbradley wrote:Any more updates on the mod?
Howdy,

Thanks for your note and yes, some more info is available. I added a set of TH Marine 5-degree transom wedges and took the boat out on a lake yesterday to test. The bow rise is gone and the boat handles well. The engine height is not quite dialed in yet and it will probably take another trip or two to get it exactly right.....too high and it cavitates, too low and it plows. I installed the Rockproof UHMW intake foot and that did indeed lower top speed by about 2 mph over the stock foot. That's not a deal-breaker as impact protection was the goal of this entire project. There are some minor issues to work out such as placement of the transducers etc. The real test will come when (not if) I have a serious rock impact. Not looking forward to it, but hey, that's jet boating! :oops:

Jkreider

Post by Jkreider »

Hello

I know this is a five your old thread. I have a very similar boat as the OP does anyone know where he got his work done.

Interested in having something similar done for myself.

Located in central pa

Jim

CedarRiverScooter

Post by CedarRiverScooter »

If you are handy, you might want to consider buying a welder & doing it yourself. There is a learning curve,so it would take some practice on scrap for awhile.

You could sell the welder when done if project cost is paramount. However, I have used my welder over the years far more than I anticipated when I bought it.

You would need one with about 200 amps & a spool gun.. The tank of Argon is pretty pricey too, so take that into account.