I sprung a leak!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~DJ~

Reaction score
I have a mid 90's 12' aluminum Gregor boat I recently bought used. I noticed that where the transom meets the floor there is a lot of what appears to be silicone sealant. Anyway this is where the leak started. I have removed the silicone and underneath that is a rock hard white substance that is difficult to remove. I have removed some of it and noticed I can see a sliver of daylight through the seam where it was leaking.

My question. I have a can of Gluvit coming. Had good luck with it in the past. After getting it cleaned up and wire brushed I was going to tip the boat up and pour it into the seam about an inch thick. Do you think that will work or do I need to find someone to weld a bead across the seam? Thanks so much.

Gluvit would work, but G-Flex 650 is better as it is a flexible epoxy. Either would need to be painted over to protect it from UV, or at least that which doesn't weep into the seam.

Thanks so much Dale. I went with Gluvit as I already had it on order. The boat is all prepped and just waiting for warmer weather this weekend. :D

As long as your getting all of the old crap out see about getting it welded.

Too late!! It's full of Gluvit and dry as a bone. I seriously thought about getting it welded at first but the shops are booked for months. Nobody wants to work anymore.

Latest posts