Angle aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcscrap

Reaction score
Ok - so I’ve tried searching, but not totally sure what to search for - or even ask.

With that said, I want to run a few pieces of angle along the side and back of my boat for supporting the deck floor. My issue is the sides are not 90 degrees, so when the angle is on it only the edge makes contact with the decking. Is there a way or how do you get the angle to be level?

I hope that makes sense! Thanks!

You need to cut a series of notches - NOTE ... in any hull area that has any 'curve' - to allow that section between notches to be bent down, as shown. The notches also allow the vertical rib of the angle to be bent where needed, to fully seat against the hull.

Angle.jpg

DaleH said:
You need to cut a series of notches - NOTE ... in any hull area that has any 'curve' - to allow that section between notches to be bent down, as shown. The notches also allow the vertical rib of the angle to be bent where needed, to fully seat against the hull.

Angle.jpg

If the curve is gentle - even just the kerf (thickness) of an angle grinder cut-off wheel will be enough.

I think what he's asking is the angle of the cross-section of the material. Most angle is formed at 90 degrees. The sides of a boat aren't (usually) at 90 to the deck, so the angle has to be less to attach a deck to a hull, especially as you get toward the bow. If you're following the curve of the gunwale, then you'll have a compound angle which will be much more fun.

I've used short pieces of angle material for that by gripping each....leg ??....side ?? of the angle with vise grips and bending them toward each other. I've also done it by gripping one leg in a vise and pounding the other with a hammer, but that's a lot harder to keep the flat portions flat - they tend to bend.

By using short pieces, you can custom contour to almost anything. Longer pieces would be a nightmare.

I don't know if this will work for you but this is what I did. I didn't run the aluminium on the sides but used wood to frame the sides and covered with plywood. You can check out my build in my profile
12cf9955f7dbb3f5db08215b66c46717.jpg
6c10dc5e143af13bceb8029378a72abc.jpg

Sent from my LGL322DL using Tapatalk

Edit: my profile link doesn't appear to work. Maybe this one will.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Etinboats%2Enet%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D39912&share_tid=39912&share_fid=21494&share_type=t&link_source=app

gogittum said:
I think what he's asking is the angle of the cross-section of the material. Most angle is formed at 90 degrees. The sides of a boat aren't (usually) at 90 to the deck, so the angle has to be less to attach a deck to a hull, especially as you get toward the bow. If you're following the curve of the gunwale, then you'll have a compound angle which will be much more fun.

I've used short pieces of angle material for that by gripping each....leg ??....side ?? of the angle with vise grips and bending them toward each other. I've also done it by gripping one leg in a vise and pounding the other with a hammer, but that's a lot harder to keep the flat portions flat - they tend to bend.

By using short pieces, you can custom contour to almost anything. Longer pieces would be a nightmare.

That's why you're cutting slots in the longer pieces - acts like a connected series of short pieces and you can bend the 'tabs' down. Easier to keep on level too as you're working with one length rather than a series of short lengths.

I dealt with the same issue you're trying to address, but I was working with aluminum decking, so I had scrap pieces that I could bend into angles and attach to the side of the boat, then mount my decking stringer angles atop them so they span the boat level and support the deck.

I'll post a picture of what I'm talking about - but unless you've got access to heavy enough aluminum sheet to do something similar I'm not sure this will help you much.

I bend most everything using my vise & hammer. Sometimes a cheater pipe comes into play too. Long pcs can be bent a little at a time, keep moving it lengthwise thru the vise.

Latest posts