structural integrity compromised

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpm

Reaction score
Boat is a 1976 u14 Valco 62 inch beam with 3 bench seats. Will removing the middle seat compromise the integrity of the boat in a significant way? I am 83 and dont like to step over the beach when i move around in the boat because of a compromised balance system incident to age.

Jerry

Well the short answer is - yes ...

But the long answer is - how will YOU use the boat? If on ponds w/ low hp OB motors and not slamming around into boat wakes or a steep chop ... then have at it. You could also just cut a walk way out of the middle, like some factory hulls do.

But with such a seat removed and IF slamming into waves, or driven hard & fast by a big OB motor and into a hard chop or heavy sea state all the time, then yes - the hull could collapse or 'oil can' on you. See the photo.

I have even seen damage 1/3rd of the way back from the bow on fiberglass CCs that were poorly designed in the stringers and the bow wanted to 'fold back on itself', from all the repeated slamming into seas. One could see stress cracks up to 6' long that you could drop a dime into and they'd stand up!

file.php

Thank you DaleH. I will not remove the full seat BUT what if i only remove a two ft section from the middle of the seat. This would allow ample passage for my big feet. The seat is viveted to the bottom of the Valco. After removing the rivets from a two ft section of the middle of the seat and applying proper sealing technique do you think the remaining rivets and seat will maintain the strength of the sides? I am running the boat at 17 to 20 mph with a 25 hp OB and will always spend some time during the day in wind and chop and often running in the waves of Wake boats and their surfers.

A lot of folks who remove the middle seat, build rod storage along the sides. That lends rigidity to the sides.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

You could also take a grinder to cut the opening and leave a inch or so on the bottom of the seat area that you removed and build a floor over it for a walkway. That way you would not need to remove the bottom rivets and it may help with the strength.

Nytebyt, U R awesome. I will fly that past my helecopter mechanic and fishing partner. Never pass up an opportunity to partner up with a helecopter mechanic, they are useful and inovative souls. Try to find one that enjoys fly rods, indicator fishing and large trout. Did I spell your name correctly, probably not?

Jerry

nytebyte said:
You could also take a grinder to cut the opening and leave a inch or so on the bottom of the seat area that you removed and build a floor over it for a walkway. That way you would not need to remove the bottom rivets and it may help with the strength.
^^^THIS!^^^ No need to remove any rivets if one doesn't have to! Even a cheap mat or or other over that areas works.

FYI, boat stores carry a piece of rubber trim (with metal insert, so it 'grabs' the material affixed to) in lengths that are white or black, and shaped like a tall 'U', that you could use on the cut-off seat ends to spare somone from the 'sharp' edges.

I might install somethign like this, bent from round or square tube. You would have something to step over unless you can install the horizontal bars below the finished floor. This would resist the outward forces on the sides of the hull and you can install small seats on either side.

hull_reinforcement.PNG

thanks for the responses. The solutions look good to me and are well illustrated. I think we can do that.

Jerry

The notched bench seems like it's a bit flimsy to me. I'd worry about the seat flexing in the red circle.

I would cut along the yellow lines instead to leave more meat and add some reinforcing (blue) with a piece of angle or square tube.

Not much more work but a lot stronger. In my opinion.

bench_seat.png

DaleH, I appreciate your sticking with me on this. Those who have responded have all brought me closer to where I need to be on maintaining the integrity of the sidewalls of this boat on the way to making me a safe passage way from stern to bow. I appreciate your intensity, DaleH.

Jerry

I have found a 1998 crestliner 1650 fish hawk with a 20 hp 4 stroke Merc with open passage one end to the other. If I elect not to modify my u14 valco as we have been talking about and purchase the crestliner do any of you have an opinion about the 20 hp merc being grossly underpowered for the boat? Owner indicates 20 mph with 2 adults and 2 young grdkids.
jerry

gpm said:
I have found a 1998 crestliner 1650 fish hawk with a 20 hp 4 stroke Merc with open passage one end to the other. If I elect not to modify my u14 valco as we have been talking about and purchase the crestliner do any of you have an opinion about the 20 hp merc being grossly underpowered for the boat? Owner indicates 20 mph with 2 adults and 2 young grdkids.
jerry

I agree that it is likely underpowered, but not terribly so. A 35 would likely be a better match.

I have a 1751 - 1 foot longer than the boat you're considering buying. Mine is flat bottom so it gets up on plane quickly and doesn't plow through the water the way a fish hawk will. I have a 40hp motor and can get to 29mph. I've tried to break 30mph several times and can't get there.

He might have gotten 20mph out of his 20hp motor but that seems like a stretch to me. I'd want a sea trial if speed is important.

I believe it, that 20hp merhatsu is an overachiever. I had a heavy 14' vee hull harbercraft with a 20hp evinrude. When I up sized to my current 16', I tried the 20 on it and it planed easily with me an two of my boys at an average of 225lbs each. 16' hull planes easier than a 14.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks for your oppinions. Is the fish hawk considered a deep V hull? I have a bunch of windy high altitude lakes (6K ft) to fish, someone has o do it, and I have felt good about the response of the u14 Valco to the high frequency wave patterns and I dont know if the wider and longer Fish hawk will do as well as I have yet to get up close to a fish hawk's hull. I consider the Valco to be a deep V hull which went on plane quite well with my 15 hp Evi and eveen better of course with my present 25 Johnson. I would like a 16 ft deep V boat with 70"+ beam if I can get one within budget otherwise I will modify the middle seat of the Valco and stick with what I have. Thanks for you input.

Jerry

Latest posts