structural integrity compromised

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I looked up the crestliner. Go look at that 1650. That's a chunk of a boat. It will definitely handle the waves better than any 14. However now that I've seen it and as much as I'm a fan of that 20hp Merc, I'd have to see it to believe it. The crestliner should be rated for up to a 60hp tiller.
In my opinion any boat you spend more than a certain amount on, you should test in the water. Any seller that won't agree to a water test ,especially if you offer to cover expenses if the boat is a ways from a lake, is a red flag. Maybe that 20 will push it good enough to make you happy and maybe it won't. I'd find out before money changes hands and you make a decision you regret.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

gpm said:
Thanks for your oppinions. Is the fish hawk considered a deep V hull? I have a bunch of windy high altitude lakes (6K ft) to fish, someone has o do it, and I have felt good about the response of the u14 Valco to the high frequency wave patterns and I dont know if the wider and longer Fish hawk will do as well as I have yet to get up close to a fish hawk's hull. I consider the Valco to be a deep V hull which went on plane quite well with my 15 hp Evi and eveen better of course with my present 25 Johnson. I would like a 16 ft deep V boat with 70"+ beam if I can get one within budget otherwise I will modify the middle seat of the Valco and stick with what I have. Thanks for you input.

Jerry

The Fishhawk does appear to be a big water hull, high sides, and steady deadrise that goes all the way to the transom. Should handle chop a lot better.

Honestly looks like that boat would be ideally matched with a 50 or 60hp. Those Deep-Vs take more power to push, and you want the speed on big lakes.

Weldorthemag and Giggles. The counsel is good. A test drive sounds like the right thing to do for sure but at this time of year where the boat is, water is becoming a solid. i just fiddled with the idea of buying the boat for too long and really hadnt thought about a test drive until you mentioned it. But, your right, there is enough money involved. I am not familiar with the concept of deadrise so will educate myself. "Ignorance, even when excusable, is not very impressive." And, deadrise sounds like something I need to know about. I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you.

Jerry

gpm said:
Weldorthemag and Giggles. The counsel is good. A test drive sounds like the right thing to do for sure but at this time of year where the boat is, water is becoming a solid. i just fiddled with the idea of buying the boat for too long and really hadnt thought about a test drive until you mentioned it. But, your right, there is enough money involved. I am not familiar with the concept of deadrise so will educate myself. "Ignorance, even when excusable, is not very impressive." And, deadrise sounds like something I need to know about. I appreciate your time and advice. Thank you.

Jerry

Sure thing.

Deadrise is the angle of the "V" on semi and deep V hulls. A true "deep v" will have a V that runs all the way from the bow to the transom, with varying degrees of angle. A Semi-V is angled at the bow but tapers to nearly or totally flat at the transom, a compromise between a flat bottom jon and a deep v. Generally speaking, the sharper the deadrise, the better it will cut waves and ride.

Ryan, I would love the stability of your boat as two of us will be fly fishing out of the Fish Hawk a lot, which is often done standing up, right, but a mile or so each way in fairly heavy chop in a flat bottom boat for a guy who is just slightly younger than dirt would be a test of his (my) sense of humor. It looks like the Fish Hawk may not handle the water quite as well as the Valco but I am hoping it will be a bit better as a platform from which to cast. Thank you for our interest

Jerry

Giggles, thanks for your succinct explanation of "deadrise". On my own, It took me over an hour to get to where you got me in about 15 seconds.
This forum has been sooooo helpful. I have spent a lot of my life "in the thick of thin things" when I should have or maybe, could have been studying tin boats. I have spent many years in drift boats on blue ribbon water in Idaho, which water has become a bit too much like interstate 15 so I have, in the last 2 years turned almost exclusively to practicing the quite sport (fly fishing) on still water. Fewer boats but more motors. Oh. well.

Jerry

1650 fish hawk is my dream boat. Or a similar 16 footish tiller from Lund, Alumacraft etc. I like the deep vees and flat floor rather that the bench seats in my current 16' naden utility.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Benches are a sign of a frenzied mind totaly devoid of imagination and appreciation for functional beauty. And you can quote me. My center bench has become intolerable. What more can I say.

Jerry

I have had two Fish Hawks, and they are VERY good riding boats. A 25 won't be fast, but it won't be a pig either, with the right prop pitch.

Get the Fish Hawk.

Sell the Valco and maybe the 20 HP to recoup some funds to get a 40 or 50, if you really want speed. My Fish Hawk with a 50 did 30+ mph, but I can't remember exactly. Here was the shakedown video, trying to get things right. Not a great video, but you get the idea:

That boat in the video above is pretty nice. Congrats!

I don’t see a need for much more boat, considering what the OP is talking about doing on the water.

As far as removing the center seat, everyone has provided excellent advice in this thread. I had to Google to see what a u14 Valco looks like. When I did I saw a picture I will post. It looks like a good option. I think the picture came from this website, so this issue has apparently been discussed.

I like the solution that maintenanceguy has posted, but there are many ways to skin this cat.

My Polar Kraft MVT-1751 has a small deck in the bow, that provides structural strength in that area. About amidship it has a small storage box on each side, again, providing structural integrity. In the rear, it has a seat, with seat extensions tied into the transom, providing more structural integrity. In between the areas discussed above, it has smaller gussets that tie each rib to the side of the boat. When you view the picture of my boat in its current condition (I have removed the boxes & rear seat), you can see there are no gussets where the storage boxes were, or in the rear where the seat was.

These little tin boats are actually similar to a small fixed wing GA airplane, because they rely on the skin for structural strength. It’s called a semi-monocoque design. The skin is load bearing, as is all the seats, boxes, and gussets, that are attached to the skin.

Attachments

• 7E243D6D-2691-4E1E-89B5-7464C987ECB4.jpeg
    7E243D6D-2691-4E1E-89B5-7464C987ECB4.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 0
  • EC75A2FA-CC34-434E-B5DA-13019E539225.jpeg
    EC75A2FA-CC34-434E-B5DA-13019E539225.jpeg
    300.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts