Flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmcscrap

Reaction score
I'm at the point where I would like to lay down the carpet/vinyl/foam (seadeck) and can't decide which or what to do. I used multiple pieces of aluminum (free discarded road signs) to lay down as the support on top of foam. The other question would be should I go ahead and rivet the floor down no matter what I will be putting on top of it? There will be a rod locker on one side and a small panel on the other if that matters, but will do those after the floor is down so it would be in the rod locker as well. I know I am kind of rambling - so - what would you all do with this boat if it was your floor? Thanks

Depending on how the rod locker is secured AND configured; like if there will be a full length "L" angle trim along the floor lengthwise fore-to-aft, where the vertical leg holds the bulkhead, then the other leg could be riveted to the floor.

But it sure wouldn't hurt to even have a few strategically placed fasteners holding it in position anyway. Riv-Nuts are IDEAL for this, as they are a threaded insert. Place one in each corner onto a rib, then a flt-head SS bolt (well greased!) can hold the tin down and in position, but alows for toot-sweet simple removal IF ever needed.

I could send you 1/2-dozen riv-nuts and you can fabricate your own 'install tool' from a hardened bolt, lubed washers and an allen wrench ... where quite simply you wrench up the hardened bolt to collapse the riv-nut onto itself, akin to a pop-rivet install.

Thanks Dale - my plan is a piece of angle running the length of the open floor. I like the rivnut idea, I do have some but thanks for the offer!

If you don't have enough rivets or fasteners holding the floor down the force of the foam trying to float to the surface could pull the fasteners out letting your boat sink.

Latest posts