Small motor procurement advice?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTS225

Reaction score
Hi, guys.
I have an opportunity to get one, or even two, 4hp outboards in an online auction.
Motor 1; An Evinrude 4606M, that does have compression. (Wasn't able to fire it up, but that's auctions, sometimes.) Appearance is decent, for a motor that's been sitting for some time.
Motor 2, A Yamaha 4AC, (6EO), that looks a bit sun-beaten. The (I think) silver cover has faded badly to a flat grey, and the "4" decal is dried and cracked. HOWEVER, this motor is locked up. I get a little rotation from the prop, telling me it's not the lower, and the pull start doesn't budge, except the initial take-up of slack. Pretty sure it's the powerhead.

Right now, the 'Rude is at $12, and the Yamaha is at $3, with 7 days to go on the auction. Location is about a 45 minute drive (one way) for me, so shipping isn't a problem.

The obvious advice is shoot for the 'Rude, but I can't help but wonder if I shouldn't also try to get the Yamaha, assuming bids don't get stupid.

I'm reasonably certain that parts for the 'Rude are plentiful, but parts for the Yamaha, I'm not so sure.

Hoping someone here can offer up some more solid advice than I can offer myself.

Thanks.....Roger

Sometimes a motor is stuck just from sitting. For 20-40 bucks it's worth a gamble. I unstuck a 64 Johnson 18 last year and used it all this year. Parts should be available for both motors roughly equally.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Depends if you need a motor or just doing it for fun. I picked up one of those evinrude 4hp a couple years ago. It would cough but not run so I figured a cheap fix. Wound up needing coils, points, condensers, carb kit, impeller etc. By the time I was done it was a sweet running little motor but I was hard pressed to make my parts money back. I fool with them for fun but I like to be able to make a bit to perpetuate my hobby.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The Yammie is basically worth it's weight in scrap metal. I'd say that you could sell the lower unit if it's beyond repair, but I'm not sure there's much of a demand on motors that small.

Not many parts available for those older Yamahas either.

Here is some advice. Take it for what it is worth................
It takes about the same amount of time and parts to bring a 4hp back into service as it does a larger 2-cylinder up to about 25hp or so. Parts cost is not that much more for the larger engines.
You get a better profit margin on the larger engines.

Well, so far, they're both at $20 each, but there's still five days left, too. I'm thinking some bidders don't know the Yamaha is locked up. I did find two different search engine listings for the same auction, and only one of them mentions the locked motor.
I do have a fiberglass sailboat that I'd like to be able to throw a small outboard onto.

Still watching, and we'll see where it goes. Thanks for the input.

Roger

I let both of them go.
The locked-up Yamaha brought $40, and the 'Rude brought $65.
Not too bad for either, if the Yamaha can be brought back to life with minimal fuss.

I didn't really need either that bad, and I was after a benchtop vertical mill that was listed more than anything else.
Did right nice on the mill, too. Got a Harbor Freight, $700 mill for $140, and it had an extra chuck, machine vice (low dollar) and turntable. The turntable is probably a $150 accessory by itself.

Roger.....doin' the happy dance. :D

GTS225 said:
I let both of them go.
The locked-up Yamaha brought $40, and the 'Rude brought $65.
Not too bad for either, if the Yamaha can be brought back to life with minimal fuss.

I didn't really need either that bad, and I was after a benchtop vertical mill that was listed more than anything else.
Did right nice on the mill, too. Got a Harbor Freight, $700 mill for $140, and it had an extra chuck, machine vice (low dollar) and turntable. The turntable is probably a $150 accessory by itself.

Roger.....doin' the happy dance. :D

I'll be first. You suck!

MrGiggles said:
I'll be first. You suck!

Let's clarify; I suck because I let the motors go for that low a price, or I suck because of the smokin' deal I got on the mill?

Roger

Latest posts