Oscillating saw for cutting aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29

Reaction score
I’m thinking about cutting the baseball sized hole in the bow to a hole about the size of cigarette pack, rectangle it out.

Any decent jigsaw with a metal cutting blade should suffice. Place I worked, we cut holes in .080 steel panels that way...aluminum should be a breeze.

MN Fisher said:
Any decent jigsaw with a metal cutting blade should suffice. Place I worked, we cut holes in .080 steel panels that way...aluminum should be a breeze.

X2. Looking in my tool box:

Recip saw - too big & clunky.
Manually with a hacksaw blade holder - too much work, I would bend the blade and say bad words.
4" Angle Grinder - would be a possibility, but not as neat.
Jig saw - easy peasy, & little mess!

I used a jigsaw on my last boat about 17 years ago and had more problems with breaking blades and eventually burning out the motor, that’s why I went with an oscillating tool this time. I figured the top and bottom cuts, left and right would be about 1.5” long and the center cuts would be about .5”. I’ll do pics of my planned cuts.

My oscillating (multi) saw is probably one of the most versatile tools I have. I've never used it to cut metal. If it works on metal as well as it does on wood, and the cutting edge holds up, then you should be golden.

Thing about jig saws is you have to keep the base up against whatever you are cutting. Lift it and bad things will happen! :)

And get yourself a very fine tooth blade. There's also carbide abrasive blades that will do what you want, but controlling them is sometimes......"interesting".

Roger

DaleH said:
What … ??? Wow, if you broke blades & burnt out a motor cutting aluminum … I can assure you it wasn’t a ‘tool’ problem (unless dull blades).

Aluminum and plywood for a front deck.

I've these kind of cuts with a small hack saw blade in the short holder so just the blade sticks through. It will keep the cut cleaner but you need to be patient and not force the blade or it will bend. Heck, I've cut some serious metal in tough to reach places with just a hack saw blade in my hand wearing a thick work glove.

JL8Jeff said:
I've these kind of cuts with a small hack saw blade in the short holder so just the blade sticks through. It will keep the cut cleaner but you need to be patient and not force the blade or it will bend. Heck, I've cut some serious metal in tough to reach places with just a hack saw blade in my hand wearing a thick work glove.

So have I but I’m getting too old for that stuff!

oscillating multi-toll will work fine. I've cut sheet aluminum with mine a bunch of times. Getting a nice straight, smooth edge is tough. They tend to wander and you have to steer them back to your pencil line.

I have clamped a piece of 1x lumber along the pencil line and used that as a guide. You can slide the blade along the 1x like a sled making sure the cutting edge doesn't bite into the wood and it makes a nice straight line. A few seconds with a file clean it up factory fine.

maintenanceguy said:
oscillating multi-toll will work fine. I've cut sheet aluminum with mine a bunch of times. Getting a nice straight, smooth edge is tough. They tend to wander and you have to steer them back to your pencil line.

I have clamped a piece of 1x lumber along the pencil line and used that as a guide. You can slide the blade along the 1x like a sled making sure the cutting edge doesn't bite into the wood and it makes a nice straight line. A few seconds with a file clean it up factory fine.

That was my plan actually. Clamping a straight edge and a level as a guide.

Post how it works out. I just bought one for my fiberglass boat project.

the hammer said:
maintenanceguy said:

That was my plan actually. Clamping a straight edge and a level as a guide.

I have clamped various materials on to use as a guide many times when using different cutting tools when possible, works like a charm.

Plus.....if you want a little nicer (less ragged) cut put a piece of masking tape over the line you need to cut and re-draw the line on the tape. You will definitely notice a difference. Makes an even larger more noticeable difference in wood cuts.

Latest posts