'80s (?) Alumacraft 14' conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

medicineman

Reaction score
I have an interesting 14' Alumacraft that I believe is an early '80s model. It had the teleflex steering wheel which I originally ran on a '70s Mercury. I have since removed that and run only a 55lb thrust Minnkota.

I am a bass and pan fisherman in Minnesota and want to build out a carpeted bow casting deck w/ cooler as seat.
I would like to clean up the boat generally, seal it, and paint it.

I will post photos of the boat currently as I am seeking thoughts on simply using 3/4 inch plywood (and treating it) versus supporting it in some way and cutting a hatch(es) in to utilize the space between the bow and middle bench.

I also need guidance on painting/priming.
Can anyone recommend a sealant and paint? So far looking at Gluvit to start.
I would like to paint the boat a dark purple and so far - can't find any color close!

-MedicineMan

Welcome - welcome

I've got an early 70s Alumacraft that I've torn down and am rebuilding from the keel up. They're good, solid boats.

Medicine Lake - not too far from me and a stone's throw from my parents in Golden Valley.

Far as the paint - there's always Rust Oleum... https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/painters-touch-2x-ultra-cover/gloss?ls=249097&lc=Gloss%20Purple

There's a thousand threads on painting with rustoleum. Just search and read. Mine is painted above the rub rail only and still looks good after 4 years. Used a light coat of self etching primer and added hardener to the paint

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I'll be going with STEEL FLEX as soon as temperatures remain 70°. Couple months from now. You can add whatever pigment color you want. Even if the manufacturer does not have your flavor, there are many that can fit your needs. Plenty of reading on this site as well as other "google searches". In regards to the pigment, find one that works with epoxy. Usually the mix is 2oz. to their mix ratio (not quite a gallon)

I live out in rural Wisconsin, so I was most familiar with Farm Equipment paint, UV safe and heavy coating--used for tractors and farm equipment. They have a small variety of colors, but the stuff lasts well, resists scratches and doesn't fade --or at least, has not faded for me.

The links below will show some examples of boats I've used it on.

I haven't used Rustoleum, but have heard on line that it is a good product.

Best wishes.

Want to say a belated thank you for the warm welcome to the forum and detailed replies. Look forward to posting my project and updates on it.

Still in the design phase - but as walleye ice season closes here in MN and the fishing has slowed a bit with temps in the negatives, I am itching to get out on the open water chasing bass.

@Bay Eagle - After checking it out I plan to use Steel Flex and use a pigment to get a unique blue. Thanks for this rec.

Cheers.

I have a million questions for all of you and am still learning etiquette on the forum, so if I should be doing anything differently let me know.

Transducers - I picked up a Garmin 5CV this ice season. It's solid for ice fishing. Come spring, I will buy and mount an open water transducer and mount the finder on my Alumacraft.

For those using transducers, how do you prefer mounting them to get the best angles/most "ergonomic" set up for your fishing style?
On a bow mounted trolling motor? On the transom? This is what I will mount. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/540580

I fish a lot of shallow water (5-10 feet) and cast mainly in the direction of my bow. I'd like to see what's coming at me versus a more trolling oriented transom mount/angle facing stern-wise.

medicineman said:
I have a million questions for all of you and am still learning etiquette on the forum, so if I should be doing anything differently let me know.

Transducers - I picked up a Garmin 5CV this ice season. It's solid for ice fishing. Come spring, I will buy and mount an open water transducer and mount the finder on my Alumacraft.

For those using transducers, how do you prefer mounting them to get the best angles/most "ergonomic" set up for your fishing style?
On a bow mounted trolling motor? On the transom? This is what I will mount. https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/540580

I fish a lot of shallow water (5-10 feet) and cast mainly in the direction of my bow. I'd like to see what's coming at me versus a more trolling oriented transom mount/angle facing stern-wise.

Just remember one thing about the CV - while the 2-D does send/receive in a cone so it shows things ahead and behind, the down-view is just a slice of that cone directly below and slightly to the sides of the transducer - like you took a triangular sheet of glass and dropped it point up in the water. What shows up as the 'current' item is just directly in line of the transducer.
This is an older pic, but is of the Garmin GT-20 showing the coverage areas of 2-D and Down-scan.
newDIbeams_zps23dd749d.jpg

So your best bet of finding fish on the down-scan is to put it up front on the TM or some people mount the transducer to a pole as when the TM turns, it shifts the angle that the down-scan is looking - if you're making a 45-degree port (left) turn, the scanning looks like this
newDIbeams_zps23dd749d-45.jpg

I mount mine on the transom. Since I like to use it at speed as a depth finder to try and avoid surprises. Mine is a retractable mount as I beach my boat on rocky shores often and I can raise it up to protect it. I fish primarily bass, pike, walleye so I am mostly casting away from the boat so I'm not using the fish finder to find fish to cast to. I observe it to find bottom structure and note what depths I'm seeing fish at. For example, if I'm seeing more fish in 8 ft of water, I'll back off to deeper water and cast in to there. In these instances, it doesn't matter which end of the boat the transducer is on. If you jig vertical a lot I can see where it makes a difference. I fish off the back if I'm jigging.

Thank you both.

MN Fisher that was a particularly helpful diagram.

Just picked up my GT20TM. Almost ready to get work underway as the garage warms up. Hope the ice season wraps up well for you all.

I've been wondering about bow mounting the transducer on a pole I can take in and out of the water quickly. Considering I am working heavy cover often (while seated or standing in the stern), I think it makes the most sense. I also don't always use electronics, and as this boat is just pulled up on shore/is around structure often - I want to be able to pull the transducer out easily.

Garmin/third parties manufacture some poles, but I'm not yet sure they fit the GT20TM. https://summitfishingequipment.com/products/summit-pole-boat-mount?pr_prod_strat=copurchase&pr_rec_id=3120c7cf1&pr_rec_pid=5048073322627&pr_ref_pid=4383757467779&pr_seq=uniform

What do you guys think of a pole mount transducer to run off the bow?

Cheers

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https%3A%2F%2Fforum%2Etinboats%2Enet%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D48562&share_tid=48562&share_fid=21494&share_type=t&link_source=app

Latest posts