Float pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a Lowe 1240 for my wife and I to haul in the back of the truck to small lake or big one. I ordered a Tahatsu 9.9 which I may see in Oct. It suddenly dawned on me that the boat, me, motor, battery, trolling motor gasoline and whatever else and stuff will gross out the boat and there won't be room weight wise for anyone else except my 50 pound dog but not the 100 lb Lab. I told wife and she's not amused. I'm thinking of adding rear float pods to bring up some floatation and help boost the "legal' load.

Anyone else using them on their jon boat? Did they help and perhaps what you have been successful with to keep the back up and onto a plane quicker??

We have a Grumman 1754 with a 50 but it requires a trailer which defeats the idea of hitting mountain lakes not trailer friendly.

So what your saying is you want to haul:
2 people
2 dogs
Fishing gear
Coolers
Trolling motor
Battery
Outboard motor
Gas can
In a 12ft boat?

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Too much for a 12' boat. 2 people, a trolling motor, and battery is going to be over the max load. But...everybody who owns a 12' boat uses it over the max load every time we go out.

But your plan is too much in my opinion. You need a bigger boat. 2 people, 2 dogs, 9.9 outboard, and gas - 16' boat, maybe a 14' but it's going to be tight.

Build an off road capable trailer.
Check out some overlanding and adventure trailers for ideas.

Thanks folks for the quick replies but no one answered my question...Is anyone using float pods to raise the stern and increase the load limit? I have a trailer with 15" tires and lots of ground clearance, a bunch of 0.100 and 0.080 6061 and 5052 and a TIG so we'll make our pods and I'll likely never have all that stuff in the boat all at the same time...but I will have 300 lbs of people or 175 by myself, a battery and 55 pound trolling motor, a fly rod or two and my fly vest, life jackets and survival gear and maybe a cooler. The lakes I want to fish are electric motor only so the 9.9 stays along with fuel, ect... I will take a dog of two if I go by myself...lab gets wet and shakes off getting my wife wet so he stays home when she goes.

Sorry I confused things but I will take the boat out by myself with the 9.9 on a different lake and am interested in knowing if the pods make the boat more stable and would get it on plane sooner with just me in the back seat. We have a Duroboat with a 15 4 stroke and if it is trimmed to plane it still takes a long time to get there with me in the back...and it won't fit in my truck.

I have gone to some of these lakes using my 17' Esquif Cargo and it is way to long to haul in the pickup and trailer is too hard to use due to switch backs, narrow roads and difficult turns and backing is almost too hard too. I can use the Pioneer to tow but it's a lot smaller and slow and not suitable for more than 35 mph on the road.

This 1240 was actually fairly well thought out purchase and my intention is not to overload the boat. Anyone using flotation pods?? Thanks in advance!!!

I have a 12' for the back of my truck in addition to my 16' main boat, so I get it. Check in out this video.
https://youtu.be/Gos8Vs7_OgU

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Thanks Weldor!!
I watched the vid several times and it appears the side pods will be a lot more practical than the ones on the rear of the boat. I'm thinking a 4' piece of 8" irrigation pipe with a round nose and hydrodynamic tail would produce adequate lift and a lot less drag...sort like torpedoes. The sharp edges don't seem to make sense to me on the pods Top Gun used. More research and thought ahead and thanks again for the video!!

Sorry . . . like trying to make a "silk purse out of a sows ear" . . . JMHO

PATRIOT2 said:
Sorry . . . like trying to make a "silk purse out of a sows ear" . . . JMHO
We used to raise hogs so I understand the point...smoked pig ears aren't bad but I prefer ribs.

Just sold a Saturn 13' Alaskan Kaboat...great in the quick rivers but not so great on flat water and it's tough to stand and fish on a rubber floor. The 1240 seems to be just the right thing to attach a leaning post and fish from...we'll see but it is easier to haul in my truck. I'm going to try my 55 pound troller and a Merc 3.3 hp in the big lake and see if I'm correct on the stability provided by the jon boat...maybe I don't need the float pods but the real question is with the 9.9. Also, the jon is easier to put up the top when the sun gets high in the sky. We have canoes, kayaks and other boats to fish from but it seems the 1240 is more mobile that the others...we'll see how it performs.

I don't have them but I've seen posts about outriggers and sponsons. Maybe search those words on this forum. I seem to recall folks trying foam and PVC pipe alongside the hull. I'm not optimistic that will provide meaningful difference in stability or capacity, but what do I know!

LDUBS said:
I don't have them but I've seen posts about outriggers and sponsons. Maybe search those words on this forum. I seem to recall folks trying foam and PVC pipe alongside the hull. I'm not optimistic that will provide meaningful difference in stability or capacity, but what do I know!

I put pool noodles on a canoe years ago to keep my offspring from tipping it over and they worked until the kids got too big. With just my wife and I the wide bottom jon should be fine. My whole point was to get the butt end of the boat up with a 100 lb 9.9, the 175 I bring to the problem and get on a plane quicker. That's not too much, just more in the back than I'd prefer. In reading a variety of posts here and elsewhere it looks like the idea raising the stern only makes it more difficult to get the nose up when encountering waves or rough water. On the other hand folks love the pods to overcome the problem of getting on a plane on pretty flat water...guess there is no perfect solution except maybe a giant extension on the tiller.

Thank you Sir for your ideas!!

A hydrofoil will give a lot of transom lift. I've used them with great results on a couple heavy 14 footers.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

OK...not giving up on pods yet but I bought a 5 hp Tahatsu propane motor and will use a 11 pound tank and cut my weight (and speed) in half but lost the need for trolling motor and battery. Got it too late to splash the boat due to cold weather. Yeah I'm a cold weather woose. 35 years ago I used to fish king Salmon in Cook Inlet in snow storms...now I know better. Ice fishing is a different duck.

Anyway, I still am concerned about stability while standing to fly fish and pods seem to still provide a decrease in "tippyness". Currently rebuilding a 1974 Honda CT 90 and it's been real close to zero for a week or two and my shop is heated. Almost time to think about fishing again. Given weight reductions and leaving both dogs and maybe the bride at home I still would like to have more stability. Any other thoughts??

That's what #1 son said...although your response certainly lends wisdom to the idea. We were talking about 6" or 8" PVC pipe maybe 4' long and just flip them over the side with an adjustable rod or 2 on each side to stabilize the boat. Or, hinged frame that could be locked up and down. Pull them back up when it's time to head home. I suppose both of you could be right and that's feasible.

I'm old, tall (6-4), and not especially agile. My previous boat was a Klamath 15' Advantage. 74" beam. Not too heavy at 250#. I was very comfortable walking around. Me and my two sons were fine on it (in it).

I'm going to join those who have suggested that instead of doing all of those mods, look into a larger boat. I know it is probably easier said than done.

Thanks Ldub...You're correct and we have a trailer borne 1754 that is very stable. The intent here remains something loaded into a pickup bed to hit high mountain lakes. I can fly fish from the shore just fine but like you I can't get around very well anymore and a lot of these lakes have very rocky shores that I can't walk on. 1240 fits in my mid size truck bed and is about 100 lbs which I can slide out and into the truck. I built rollers on a bed extender which works very well. I have kayaks and canoes and stability is still the issue...I can't stand to fish. We are in a storm at the moment and maybe next week I'll go look at some large PVC pipe and that may be a good solution for my little boat. We'll see and thanks for everyone's responses.

Aw, that makes sense. I should have paid more attention to your earlier comments. Now I understand the dilemma. You need a boat small and light enough to manhandle out of your pickup bed but with enough capacity and stability to meet your needs.

If the extra floatation doesn't work, have you thought of one of those roof rack loader gizmos that uses cables and an electric winch? Might allow you to bring a larger boat without a trailer.

Latest posts