tiller steering - sonar/gps mounting position

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DUXBWARE

Reaction score
Ok, I have a tiller steer boat. I just bought a lowrance Elite fs7 for it. I am on the fence of where to mount it. I will not use it for marking fish, just for depth reading, and for the GPS mapping/navigation.

1) Port side, right across from me when operating tiller. - seems really comfortable to view me, and most boat brands have them designed to mount here. - seems to make no sense for naviating with the GPS/mapping, as the Map won't be straight on, where the boat is heading?

2) Starboard side in front of me. (I sit on starboard Side to run tiller) - Seems fairly comfortable to view for me, definitely not awkward, but not as natural as port side. - seems to make most sense for navigating with the GPS/mapping, as it's a straight on view, in the direction the boat is heading.

Any body with a tiller than chime in on where yours is mounted, and how navigation is?

Thanks fellas. Always appreciated ! D.

I have a 14 foot tin tiller and a Helix 7. I made a bracket to mount it to the gunnel.
I originally mounted it on the starboard side, right at the oar lock.
I've since moved it to the port side, I much prefer it there.

There are a few pics of the starboard install in this thread:
https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=46043

Port side, wherever is comfortable to look quickly.
I was worried about the boat icon not being in the right direction during navigation if I mounted my Helix 7 "sideways" turns out the icon goes off of boat travel direction, not mounting orientation.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Awesome! Thats good news, that the icon will point to boat direction. I can only assume, my lowrance would do the same.

Maybe I'll do a test run, just to make sure, before I actually decide to mount it, and drill holes, etc.

Speaking of mounts, my thoughts were to use a ram mount with a medium length arm, "C" size (1.5") balls. Where I plan to mount it, would have the arm basically horizontal. Do you think the "C" size balls, will be study enough to support the weight of the Lowrance elite FS7, or should I be considering the "D" size (2.25") balls. Problem with moving up to the D size, is the size is so much bigger/bulky, as well as they weigh so much more.

Thanks!

DUXBWARE said:
Speaking of mounts, my thoughts were to use a ram mount with a medium length arm, "C" size (1.5") balls. Where I plan to mount it, would have the arm basically horizontal. Do you think the "C" size balls, will be study enough to support the weight of the Lowrance elite FS7, or should I be considering the "D" size (2.25") balls. Problem with moving up to the D size, is the size is so much bigger/bulky, as well as they weigh so much more.

Thanks!

I've got my Garmin Striker 7 mounted on a 'B' size and have no issues - the 'C' should be more than capable.

GYPSY400 said:
Port side, wherever is comfortable to look quickly.
I was worried about the boat icon not being in the right direction during navigation if I mounted my Helix 7 "sideways" turns out the icon goes off of boat travel direction, not mounting orientation.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

This.

The FF should have a setting that will allow how to set the boat icon. I have mine set so it is always pointing to the top of the screen. Doesn't matter the orientation of the screen to the boat.

Thanks for all the input guys. Very appreciated. I'll be mounting port side, with B size ram mount parts. I'll post some pics, once I git er done!

kdgrills said:
I have a 14 foot tin tiller and a Helix 7. I made a bracket to mount it to the gunnel.

Is that a Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman? If so would love to see more pics of your setup, I have the same.

cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbw2019 said:
kdgrills said:

Is that a Mirrocraft Deep Fisherman? If so would love to see more pics of your setup, I have the same.

cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good eye, yes it is. I'll share a few pictures of its current incarnation this weekend.

Latest posts