What are your most used garage power tools?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Kobalt 24volt cordless drill and impact driver.

For corded tools my Craftsman 4.5" angle grinder.

For air powered tools my Harbor freight Earthquake compact 1/2" impact wrench.

Yep, gotta agree....cordlesss drill and angle grinder with various wheels, followed by saber saw, sawzall and skil saw. A surprising tool that I find more and more uses for is the oscillating saw. In its' niche it does a very good job. When all else fails, the single jack gets 'er done.

Black & Decker cordless impact wrench is #1 - I basically use that and a breaker bar for all mechanical fasteners unless clearances are an issue. I like that it's not super torquey - I know there are much more powerful options out there but I like that I still need to go back through with a hand-tool to cinch everything down. It saves tons of time along the way but doesn't over tighten anything or run much risk of stripping anything out.

Second behind that would probably be the benchtop drill press.

Porter-Cable 18-volt cordless drill and screw impact. Initially had just the drill/light kit, but one of the batteries died, and I hit up a couple pawn shops. Found pretty much all the cordless tools of the same series, along with three more goood batteries.
Next is the relatively new oscilatting mutli tool/saw. I've found those are a doggone handy piece of equipment to have around.

Roger

Most used: Cordless drill. Current one is a 20V Li DeWalt.

Most versatile: Multi-tool. This gets used a lot too.

Used a lot more than I would have thought: 4" Angle grinder.

Current Favorite? I can't name just one. Whatever is best for the job at hand.

Not used very often but important:

I have fun using my Worksharp sharpener on my wood chisels. A lot of my chisels are garage sale finds with my homemade handles. (I know, they aren't power tools - Haha).

My cheapo Harbor Frieght chainsaw sharpener saves me a lot of time. Nothing worse than a dull chainsaw chain.

BAY BEAGLE said:
SHOP VAC

followed up w/ my RIGID Battery drill,

On this TINBOAT project - Dewalt orbital sander hooked up to my SHOP VAC

Shop vac is a good one. I'm surprised we didn't all say that.

I have a Fein vac. I like it because it has a built-in autostart plug for hand sanders or whatever. It also has adjustable speeds. I bought it years ago when the prices were a little more reasonable. I use mine with a Dust Deputy miniature cyclone dust collector. I acquired that back when I was doing a lot of woodturning. The fines would clog a shop vac filter right now. With the little cyclone I seldom have to open the shop vac.

I know. More than anyone wants to know about shop vacs. haha.

My Kobalt 24 Volt 1/2" Cordless Drill. It gets the job done.

Second place would be my 12 Volt Dewalt 1/4" Cordless Screwdriver. It is small and lightweight to fit in tight spaces.

Third place would be my Dremel 8220 Cordless Rotary Tool. It is nice to not be tied down to an outlet.

Do any of you buy into a “system”? One brand and battery level for multiple tools?

I’m still looking at getting a small light weight electric chainsaw for very light work in the woods and was wondering if it’s worth investing in one brand. It’s time to buy a new cordless drill so I’m thinking along those lines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim said:
Do any of you buy into a “system”? One brand and battery level for multiple tools?

I’m still looking at getting a small light weight electric chainsaw for very light work in the woods and was wondering if it’s worth investing in one brand. It’s time to buy a new cordless drill so I’m thinking along those lines.

I have several of the Sears Craftsman C3 tools then when my drill let the smoke out and the demise of Sears, I went with the Kobalt 24volt system from Lowes.

Jim said:

I started my cordless tool foray back in the early 2000's. I purchased an 18 volt Craftsman set consisting of a drill and light. I burn't up 3 drills in about 2 years. I couldn't get the drills to last. I then purchased a 18 volt Dewalt hammer drill which was an excellent drill while I had it. It was stolen by a co-worker. I then purchased a Kobalt 24 volt set consisting of a 1/2" drill, 1/2" square impact wrench and 1/4" impact screwdriver. I have purchased the Kobalt 24 volt blower also. Kobalt has been adding tools to the list over the years.

In regards to power tools, (battery) - I have used this company for supplying batteries for my Snap On Impacts, Drills, Lights, etc - www.batterybatterybattery.com

I had that what sounds like that same Craftsman drill and light. Same thing, I burned up the drill. I don't know what happened to the light. Wish I still had it. I replaced that with a pistol grip cordless but for the life of me I can't remember the brand. I eventually took advantage of a Rockler trade-in promotion and got the current20v Dewalt set.

I like the idea of the "system" tools.

BTW, California is banning sales of small outdoor gas powered equipment like lawn mowers, leaf blowers, etc in 2024. Because of that, I'm stocking up on maintenance parts for my Stihl leaf blower. Save your old gas powered stuff. The parts will become valuable out here on the west coast.

Bay Eagle! Thanks for that link. Those aren't bad prices at all. Usually, my Porter Cable P18C's are about $50 per.

Roger

Well, I purchased a skil saw. I’m a little scared to use it!
cb475767d701f29d5df25cb60b4fc6c0.jpg

Latest posts