What are your most used garage power tools?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does that say 16" blade?! That's a big saw! :shock: :shock:
Yes.....I see what you did, there. :D

Roger

Jim said:
Do any of you buy into a “system”? One brand and battery level for multiple tools?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I took over as Director of Engineering at a major luxury hotel in Santa Fe, NM in 2006 there was a mish-mash of cordless tools of several brands and voltages in the shop....and a whole row of chargers on a shelf. What a PIA. What a mess.

I sold them to my employees for token prices, then bought several DeWalt 18 volt tools with extra batteries. It took a chunk of that month's budget, but after that the guys could come in, grab a tool and a battery and go. Come back and dump the battery in a charger and done. Boom. Much better.

I kept it simple and all the same voltage....BUT.... I have no personal experience, but a friend tells me his 40 volt (??) Ryobi chainsaw and trimmer are joys to use. Something to check out....might be worth expanding the range a bit.

It's very worth it to buy the higher amp/hr batteries at the beginning. Go ahead and pay the difference in price....and buy only premium brands. They're worth it. Use the 2400 ah batteries that come in the kits, then try a 4500 ah.....you'll never, not ever, look back. Very worth the extra dollars, and they Are spendy. Money well spent.

When I was still self-employed in the '80s & '90s, I tried a few Craftsman and Black & Decker cordless tools and threw them away while still almost new. Junk....frustrating for a busy man to try and use on a job.

P.S. I still haven't found a cordless circular saw (skil saw) of any brand that's worth spit.

gogittum said:
Yep, gotta agree....cordlesss drill and angle grinder with various wheels, followed by saber saw, sawzall and skil saw. A surprising tool that I find more and more uses for is the oscillating saw. In its' niche it does a very good job. When all else fails, the single jack gets 'er done.
I just got an oscillating saw for Christmas and am looking forward to using it.

onthewater102 said:
Black & Decker cordless impact wrench is #1 - I basically use that and a breaker bar for all mechanical fasteners unless clearances are an issue. I like that it's not super torquey - I know there are much more powerful options out there but I like that I still need to go back through with a hand-tool to cinch everything down. It saves tons of time along the way but doesn't over tighten anything or run much risk of stripping anything out.

Second behind that would probably be the benchtop drill press.

I bet that impact makes quick work of most stuff, especially things that are a bit rusted. The drill press is one I use more than I expected. Good thing to have around.

Jim said:
Do any of you buy into a “system”? One brand and battery level for multiple tools?

I’m still looking at getting a small light weight electric chainsaw for very light work in the woods and was wondering if it’s worth investing in one brand. It’s time to buy a new cordless drill so I’m thinking along those lines.

They're not really tools but I use an electric Kobalt lawnmower, trimmer and blower that all use the same battery. They work really well and get the job done. The technology has come a long ways over the past several years.

bikerider said:
CedarRiverScooter said:
Maybe not most used, but has paid for itself many times over: Dremel!

A versatile tool no doubt.

Ya, I've got an 'ancient' Dremel 245-5 that I still use quite often. With the foot-control for speed adjustments, the flexible shaft extension, the router base and the 'micro' drill press it's very versatile.

Jim said:

I’m still looking at getting a small light weight electric chainsaw for very light work in the woods and was wondering if it’s worth investing in one brand. It’s time to buy a new cordless drill so I’m thinking along those lines.

I use the Black & Decker 20V lithium system. Impact Driver, Matrix Drill/Jigsaw/4" Circular Saw, 10" chainsaw (wife uses for campfire wood & light trimming), 8" electric extendable pole saw, string trimmer, light-duty leaf blower (good for the kids to use clearing the deck is about all) and a work-light (technically the most-used power tool if you consider it to be one by virtue of being part of this family of tools)...I think that's all the accessories I've accumulated over the years that work with the 20V batteries. I couldn't tell you which are the newer and which are the older batteries, all still perform great and I've accumulated these tools over the last 10 years or so.

The electric string trimmer is MONEY. Not having to deal with a 2 stroke for basic weekly yard maintenance is awesome. With so many batteries it doesn't much matter if it takes 2 or 3 to get through the yards, I must have 5 or 6 batteries at this point.

None of the tools are contractor grade by any measure - but for a homeowner / weekend warrior project junkie like me they have served me well for a number of years now.

Jim said:
Well, I purchased a skil saw. I’m a little scared to use it!
cb475767d701f29d5df25cb60b4fc6c0.jpg

_________________________________________________________________________________

Perfect saw for cutting 6 x 6 & 4 × 4 post -

On another note, I purchased a 7 1/2 with the same platform. Great for cutting plywood. Your able to see the blade, and your your marked line, without having to look over the motor to the otherside. Yes it dumps sawdust on You ...... but you have better control of your cuts. (I use aliumuim angle for my breaks, clamped)

Latest posts