86 Starcraft BASSV170 Rebuild/refit

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate when that happens :p

I can just barely get ours in with the engine mounted, it's a struggle though.

Looking at fuel tanks and I realized that I have either two choices. 1) Use the largest portable tank option that can be passed through the hatch, a 12 gallon tank. Or 2) Drill out some rivets and remove the panel where the fishing seat mount goes long enough to install a permanent one. Due to the fact that my outboard has a listed fuel consumption of 10.1 gallons per hour at full power, I figure I should have at least enough fuel for 2 hrs with a little more if possible so a 20+ gallon tank. What do you guys think? Go light weight and simple and be limited in duration? Or give up some freeboard and get the big tank?

For how much gas you need, will depend on how you fish and how far you have to go to fish. If you don't need to make long runs on the big engine then probably alright with smaller portable tank. If you will need to travel a lot during your time on the water then the built in tank may be worthwhile.

I'm guessing you will have to fab up something custom to fit that space, or have someone else build the tank? Probably won't be very cheap either way.

With a permanent tank you have to find a place for a filler neck, think about venting and where to vent to (this will be exposed vents somewhere above deck) and then if you are running a mix gas engine do you have to premix the fuel or is it done engine side? Then if you fill it up at gas station you have to always be on top of it, how much oil to add for the new fuel, OR fill up multiple smaller cans and fill up as you need... Have to consider spillage too, with either method really, wherever your permanent tank filler neck is should be easy to clean or at least somewhere gas can evaporate from.

With portable tank you fill it up and mix, then toss it in the boat. Only inconvenience is pulling it in/out of the boat and the less capacity available.

rcaircraftnut said:
Looking at fuel tanks and I realized that I have either two choices. 1) Use the largest portable tank option that can be passed through the hatch, a 12 gallon tank. Or 2) Drill out some rivets and remove the panel where the fishing seat mount goes long enough to install a permanent one. Due to the fact that my outboard has a listed fuel consumption of 10.1 gallons per hour at full power, I figure I should have at least enough fuel for 2 hrs with a little more if possible so a 20+ gallon tank. What do you guys think? Go light weight and simple and be limited in duration? Or give up some freeboard and get the big tank?

My boat is said to burn 15gal/hr at full throttle, but it goes over 40mph, so 2 hr's is 80 miles of travel!! That is a long way to go, especially if you are fishing. And all you need to do is back it off to half throttle after she's on plane, you go slower but get much better economy and you are still on plane. So consider the lakes you will be on and how you will use the boat. Personally I would want as large a tank as I can since sometimes my boat sits at a buddys house on his dock for a few weeks. Rather not be forced to buy $4/gal gas on the water at the marina. But with a portable you don't really have that issue. Hard to say, but you've got a big motor so if you fish any big water you may want as much capacity as you can get.

Going to try the 12 gallon portable and see how it goes.

Started laying vinyl yesterday. Pretty happy with how it's coming out.

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_201314.jpg
    IMG_20210815_201314.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 707
  • IMG_20210815_201341.jpg
    IMG_20210815_201341.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 707
  • IMG_20210815_201224.jpg
    IMG_20210815_201224.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 707
Have decided to give this a go as a side business. I am now swamped with work. Did not take long. Lol. So have to take a break from working on this for a bit and get these three customer projects done. One needs a transom replacement completed. Another is a pontoon needing new wood and carpet. The third one is the big one. Needs the floatation foam all replaced as it's waterlogged. Easy enough on an aluminum boat. Then I will have the cash to complete my boat. If I don't get more work in the meantime. Haha.

Heat index is 107 here today. Shows 105 in the shop with all fans on. Just can't see from all the sweat dripping on my glasses while hanging upside down grinding out these transom knees. Guess I need a stupid fruity headband. 🤣

Can't seem to get anything shipped to me in a timely manner. Still waiting for vinyl for this pontoon boat as well as the rivets I need. Took a week and a half to get my glue and I had to go pick it up at the FedEx district hub as they couldn't find my house. It's easy and we'll marked. Lol.

Well I am down to one customers boat in the shop and hopefully I can get his rebuild done by next week and get back on mine. Pontoon is done and back to its happy owners. Transom job on the champion went well and it is also back on the water as on last Sunday. Lake test was perfect. I can say seacast does work. Not that anyone here would need it. Lol.

Still moving rite along on the latest customers boat. Plan to do the foam in the bow this morning then lay in some vinyl. Will see how I do. Back has been hurting for the last 4 days straight so not sure if I will do a full day today or not.

Attachments

• 20211104_165919.jpg
    20211104_165919.jpg
    6.2 MB · Views: 537
Well I am moving rite along even though I am noe also in the middle of changing the transmission in my truck. :?

Attachments

• 20211109_151015.jpg
    20211109_151015.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 511
Still working on this one. Glue time and lack of clamps is slowing me up a bunch. Grrr.

Attachments

• 20211112_171515.jpg
    20211112_171515.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 480
  • 20211112_180906.jpg
    20211112_180906.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 480
Hopefully I can get back to it soon I am almost done with this customers boat then I can get back on mine.

Attachments

• 20211118_161628.jpg
    20211118_161628.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 623
rcaircraftnut said:
Been busy with having to replace the entire drive train in my truck. But am now back on track. Lol.
Dang. Im afraid my transmission is going out not looking forward to that. Cuz i might have to sale boat i got at beginning of year to pay for it. Or find a way.

Latest posts