1972 Alumacraft F-9 Lake Master

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couple things in the last few days

Rear framing is done - including the supports for the seat base...going with the same setup in the rear as I had in the canoe.

I also laid in two lengths of 1/16" FRP to make a smooth bottom - especially on the port where the rod locker is going...not going to have tubes, just lay the rods in...it's 8' long from the stern-most end to the bow-most end...just have to finish framing the area in the bow. The FRP will be screwed into the metal braces that go from the subfloor frame to the rib ends and a bead of adhesive will seal the top edge to the hull to prevent water flowing in under it.

Front framing has started - right up in the bow are the main supports for the new battery tray, couple of the uprights for the casting deck are in. Once I get at least another pair of verticals in I can mount the P/S hull supports for the deck.

20220306_152704.jpg

Before I do more verticals though, I have to at least frame up the storage compartments...these are going to be drop-in units lined with 1/4" HDPE on the bottom and 1/16" FRP on the sides. Need these built next as the framing for the deck needs to be spaced properly for these to fit in. Sized to vertically fit 8-3701 boxes - or any combo of 3700 series boxes not more than an 11.1" 'stack' - 1-3700 plus 6-3701 as an example - space is 11.125" and 8-3701 boxes total 11.04"...slight extra so the boxes aren't tight in the compartment.

20220307_154115.jpg

One is done - need to make five more before the deck framing can continue. I'm making them this size instead of fewer/larger as the 5/8" BCX I'll be using as the decking can support a person over this span...but not much larger...so the hatch-lids will be walk-upon safe.

Okay - so I lied...really only needed one more dry-box framed before I could work more on the front-deck framing. Slowly coming together - got the casting deck starboard main support in...probably work on the port-side tomorrow...after I finish bending the tabs down level on the starboard support.

The two dry-box frames are just sitting in there, still have to get cross-members to fully support them. One box has it's base cut and inserted. 20220310_163905.jpg

Your construction and welding skills are outstanding!

Beautifully, meticulously done.

A pleasure to view. =D> =D> =D>

Wife is suffering a migraine, so did fairly quiet things today...otherwise I would have been doing 'bang-bang' as I set some more drive-rivets...and the back end of the garage is directly under the bedroom.

Rear light post-socket is installed - made a template, marked where I wanted to drill the 1-1/4" hole, drilled that, then with the socket clamped in place marked the holes for the mounting screws with a transfer punch, drilled and tapped for #6-32, and installed with some Blue Loctite - only had 2 screws sitting around, need a third.

20220327_161454-1.jpg

Made a template and cut out some 1/4" FRP to make the stern wall of the rod-locker. Epoxy is setting now which is why the clamps. Will fill the gap by the hull with some latex caulk.

20220327_161510-1.jpg

The cross supports for both the battery tray and the TM deck are in...my miter-saw is at the other end of the basement so not an extreme amount of noise gets to the bedroom. The cardboard is the completed template for the TM deck...the template for the battery tray is also done.

20220327_161551-1.jpg

And lastly, the dry boxes are done. The FRP is epoxied to the frame and a bead of latex caulk seals all the interior join-points.

20220327_161721-1.jpg

Still have to finish securing the main side-support runs to the hull (reason for 'bang-bang'), put in a few more lengths of 1x1 angle...then run the wiring where it needs to go before making templates and cutting/fitting the deck sections.

WHERE?

Lakes are still frozen here...and we're having lows in the teens and highs in the 30s lately.

frozen lakes? wow, i think i would get a new hobby! lol. how many months can yall fish up there? one thing about it, with your skills, you sure wont have to work on the boat next year! great job!

Average ice-out is mid April, average ice-in is early December.

So we have just under 8 months of open water on average - though most of us put our boats away by mid November - so 7 months.

Ice fishing is big up here - soon as there's 4"+ on the lakes, the ice shanties start going up. Some lakes end up with their own villages.
maxresdefault.jpg

I've been slacking off and not updating this thread...quite a bit has happened.

Some 'putsy' things first

Socket for rear light installed - drilled the needed center hole with a step drill, then transfer punch to mark the holes for the 6-32 screws, drill&tap, a bit of red Loctite and it's in.
20220327_161454-1.jpg

Blocked off the fore and aft ends of the rod locker with 1/4" FRP, gorilla glued in place - will fill the gaps with some outdoor rated latex caulk.
20220327_161510-1.jpg

Dry boxes are done.
For my main tackle storage I have four sized for 8x3701 (or smaller numbers of thicker boxes) - there's space for miscellaneous gear as my current tackle will only fill 3.5 compartments
For my plastics, I made two smaller ones of different sizes - cause of how they'll fit in. One will fit 8x3607-10 boxes short-edge up, the second will fit 3x3607-10 boxes laid flat with some space for loose bags.
Bottom of the boxes is 1/4" FRP, sides are 1/16" FRP epoxied in place. Bead of latex caulk seals it up.
20220327_161721-1.jpg

Fuse box is mounted to a piece of 3/8 HDPE and I put in a piece of aluminum angle to make a 'box' to secure it in place.
Charger wasn't installed yet when this pic was taken, but it's now in place to the far right.
20220408_161325-1.jpg

Circuit breakers - which also function as the main cut-offs - are mounted to the frame where the hatch to the battery compartment will be...open the hatch and there they are. 50amp for the TM on the port side, 30amp for the 'house' battery on the starboard.
20220408_161343-1.jpg

Close-up of the TM breaker. Press the red button and the circuit opens, flip the 'tab' that pops out back into place and the circuit is closed.
20220408_161350-1.jpg

Plywood cutting has begun - the battery platform is actually done and locked down - just sealed it...no need for carpet or paint. TM/electronics platform is cut out - seal it, carpet it and it's ready to go in permanently.
I've also run the wire from the 30amp house breaker to the fuse box, and the charging cables from the charger to the battery compartment.
20220413_152422-1.jpg

I've also cut the pieces to 'box in' the cockpit. These won't be carpeted, just painted, as will the vertical transitions fore of the live-well and at the fore end of the casting deck.
20220413_152339-1.jpg

Still moving along - the last of the FRP to block off compartments to the under-frame area are in. Basic templates for the casting deck and rear area are cut. Lines drawn on rear port/starboard templates for cutting the hatches once the main pieces are cut.

20220428_101123.jpg

That hole in the rear template is for the underside of the Kingpin base...there will be another one cut in the casting-deck for the forward seat.

FuzzyGrub said:
Nice project and work performed! =D>

Must be under the gun now, since ice out. :wink:

Somewhat - but bass season doesn't open for another 2+ weeks (May 14), and I'm primarily a bass-chaser.

Not gonna make bass opener - but things are moving along.

Starboard and port casting deck, rod locker cover, starboard rear storage cover are cut out and fitted.

Need to cut/size the hatches in the casting deck and size the hatches for the storage cover.

Floor, rod locker cover and hatch need one more coat of Varathane before I put on carpet.

Livewell cover and tank cover/seat base still need to be cut out.

Before I start securing deck pieces down, I need to fishing filling holes, clean the inside section of the hull and paint.

20220507_154226.jpg

Still moving along - got the cockpit floor carpeted - second piece to carpet is set and the glue is drying under pressure now.

Shot of the colors -
Upper part shows the interior/exterior hull color...just painting from the deck supports up.
Like the previous post - the vertical parts are a lighter gray - and shows the contrast to the darker gray of the carpeting as I've got the floor installed.
20220511_140541001.jpg

Still making progress - the rod-locker cover is carpeted and in...the hatch is currently under pressure for the carpet-glue to set. Hole for lock is drilled, so tomorrow I'll probably install that. Starboard storage/electrical compartments cover will be glued to carpet tomorrow - livewell cover and hatch, hatches for the storage/electrical the aft seat base and the gas-tank cover are all currently being sealed...carpeting on those will probably start on Thursday.
20220512_105147.jpg

I've also painted the forward 1/3 of the outer hull - tomorrow I'll install the bow lights (holes near prow, under cap/gunwale are for those). I could also apply the reg number and state reg sticker.
Color for interior and exterior hull is 'Smoke Gray' - you can see the contrast inside as the area above the rod-locker cover is also painted.
20220516_142448.jpg

Vid showing my progress and current status of this build
[media]https://youtu.be/LQQnJcDFwk0[/media]

Still working on it - but it's starting to look 'more finished'.

20220519_104321.jpg

I'm also going to look at a 25hp Evinrude this afternoon - local guy (10 minutes from me) buys old OMC motors and rebuilds them - and he's OMC certified, so it's not a slap-dash type of job.

Latest posts