1994 Johnson 50/35 Water Pump

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTerp

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Getting my boat back out and ready for fishing now that my son is interested and old enough to go fishing on it. It's sat more or less for the past 2 years. Am getting ready to tackle changing out the water pump impeller, but wanted to see if anyone had any tips/tricks before I get started. Did this job with a buddy 4 years ago, but there were a few beers involved so my memory is a bit fuzzy, LOL!!! He used black RTV, IIRC, for everything. I'm planning on using Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket in place of the OMC Gasket Sealing Compound the manual calls for as it's no longer available (this is widely accepted as the same stuff). But not sure what to use for OMC Type M Adhesive though. Black RTV? Or will the same Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket work? This is called for seating the housing gasket to keep it in place during assembly. Lastly, the manual calls for OMC Needle Bearing Assembly Grease to hold the impeller cam in place during installation. Any suggestions on what to use here instead of the OMC stuff?

Oh, and what should I grease the driveshaft splines with before re-installation? I have OMC triple guard, Green Grease and Quicksilver 2-4-C type 2 grease (jet bearing grease) all on hand.

the permatex spray gasket adhesive works great and will not squish out or alter the tolerance. i keep yamabond #4 around for jobs like that, same reason. i also keep the aviation form a gasket, but not for holding gaskets, as it will ooze and run and drip forever. lol i would spray the gasket and drop it on the locator dowels or stick a fer screws in to kep it in place until the spray tacks up. the impeller cam or pin just needs enough grease to keep it from falling out. whatever you use, make sure it will not soften the empeller blades. i dont use anything there. but i am not familiar with that particular application. assuming whatever you use will be carried out by water?
its always great to hear a father taking a son fishing. i sure miss those days.

Latest posts