Float pods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take a look at these. They don't look too difficult and would not impede using your truck for transport.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39GUDlBnRno

I bought 2 8"x27" boat docking bumpers that I think I can rig up to move up and down on command. They should provide a fair amount of buoyancy on each side. If not, I guess I'll go swimming.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and comments...I'll let you know when it warms up some.

I believe that's adequate buoyancy on each side. I plan on using something similar to the ratcheting system used on most electric boat trolling motors. I have no desire to stand on edge/side of the boat, just to get enough stability to use a leaning post centered in front of my seat and fly fish...hopefully catching a fish now and then. I have a long trout net so no real need to lean over the edge of the boat...or to return fish to the water. I have no feeling in my feet and leg due to Agent Orange exposure so I'm pretty careful getting out of balance...but I wear an inflatable floaty always and am a good swimmer.

I'll see if I'm smart enough to post a picture once I get things working on the boat. Spring is COMING!!!

When I first started bow fishing I had a 1436. I built and put pods on the rear of it and they worked well. The boat used a 9.9 Mercury 4 stroke also with a electric troller up front. The battery was mounted in the front bench. I then passed the boat on to my step son and he and his buddies used it to run ditty lines for flatheads. They loved it. You "maybe" able to use pods on the rear of your boat but they really wouldn't give you the stability you want. They'd increase your load capability and would let it plane ok though. For what you want I'd lean towards the side sponsons and I'd use the irrigation tube, it'll hold up to the rocks better.

Thank ya Sir!
I thought of alum irrigation pipe and guessed PVC would be less likely to bend in rocks. That's one reason why I went with the rubber bumpers. Not a lot of sand beaches in the mountains but lots of rock, mostly round and smooth but some will be sharp when land slides occur.

I went to the 5 hp propane motor for weight mostly. I wanted a new 9.9 mostly so I can use it on other boats also. My old Merc 9.9 sorta died which was a great decision point for my wife to justify a new kicker...it worked but I went with the lighter and smaller one and my #1 son figured it was a good excuse to upgrade the 2 stroke to something closer to 15 hp. Haven't done it yet but am looking at directions and a parts list to get it done. Anyone that has a suggestion or two please let me know.

Almost warm enough to get boats wet. I have been working on my 12' Duraboat and adding a 6 gal tank in the nose to add some weight up front and extra fuel. I'm on the verge of adding a mount up front to set up a bow electric motor which always works better than one on the transom...at least in the wind. I have the tank mounted with just the fill spout above the front deck and mounted under with two steel straps. Might use some spray foam between tank and the sides of the boat to add some buoyance and maybe reduce some sound too. I guess the battery should be under the front seat with a mount and "hatch" in the seat for access the battery and connect the charger. I believe some 0.100 alum plate should be strong enough to support the front mounted electric motor. That's the plan and we'll see how it works.

Lowrider,
Unless i missed it, have you had that boat in the water yet and how is it? Curious to how stable or tippy feeling. Looking for a 12ft'er for one row only 400ac lake and few other 400ac or less lake gas and electric only. I had an Alweld 1242V and it was super stable, but thats a more substantially made boat.

Not quite what you are looking for, but an idea:

https://flyfishinchristian.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/diy-canoe-stabilizer-outrigger-float-or-something-like-that/

good luck

Yes they work great I put them on the stern or on the rear of my 12x36 lowes jon boat with 15 horse 4 stroke merc electric start motor with forward controls and stick steering and they work fine float shallow water and stable and it runs 34 miles an hour made a terrific boat for me

I'm not sure how we got to October but here it is...still nice in ID but snow will fly soon enough. I have failed you guys....just took the Lowe out once and have all the parts to add the floaties but ain't there yet. I'm thinking of a NSR raft leaning post for the jon boat. We stopped in to the NSR factory in Moscow, ID on the way home...maybe a raft or cataraft is the answer...they are pretty stable...I think.

Have been using the 12' Duraboat with the 15 four stroke Merc. I have picked some kokanee and small mouth but nothing exciting. My wife got a 35"/15lb Steelhead on the Clearwater about 30 miles East of where it runs into the Snake in Lewiston, ID...I'd did NOT get squat.

Maybe this cold weather and a warm shop will motivate me...we'll see. Thanks folks for the comments.

Latest posts