Hp for 14ft Jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicali

Reaction score
Was out for the maiden voyage of our new-to-us Jon boat, It's a Marlon SP14, I've outfitted it for stillwater fly fishing on our local lakes here in the interior of BC. Family loves it:

Skmana1.JPG

I've quickly decided that we'll need a gasser for it - the 55lb minn gets us around the lakes faster than our canoe, but doesn't leave much margin for weather or quick location changes. Boat is rated for up to 20hp, but a few of the lakes we go to have 10hp limits. I've got a Transom riser from the previous owner who had a 20 jet on it in the river..

I'm deciding between fourstrokes from Yamaha, Merc/ Nissan/ Honda.
Looking 9.9, 15, or 20hp - not sure how big to go. Boat is trailered so weight is not a major factor.
I know the saying is get as big as you can, but we're not planning to waterski. Wondering if it's a bad idea do stay under 10hp.

Yep......get as much as you can and use your throttle! Engine will transfer to the next boat probably better than a low horsepower engine will.Engine longevity will benefit as well from not having to be run at or near WOT all the time. The larger engine will be able to turn more pitch which translates into a more efficient propeller. Lots of benefits and few cons.

Due to demand the prices for 9.9 used are very close to the 15 and 20hp engines as well.
With the riser I could theoretically use a long shaft or short shaft without it.. any benefits other than a higher handle?

i would go 20 if 2 stroke, 10 if 4 stroke. you have a family it looks like, gotta consider that load plus the weight of the motor. then adjust the riser to correctly position the engine.
enjoy time with the family!

Vicali? no matter what you put on your boat, you have a beautiful area in which to use it.

Congratulations. =D>

poorthang said:
i would go 20 if 2 stroke, 10 if 4 stroke. you have a family it looks like, gotta consider that load plus the weight of the motor. then adjust the riser to correctly position the engine.
enjoy time with the family!

Thank you, it's pretty great to be out with the kids.

Kismet said:
Vicali? no matter what you put on your boat, you have a beautiful area in which to use it.

Congratulations. =D>

Thanks you, here's hoping it doesn't burn to bad this summer.

Now for particulars,
This is available locally, $1k CAD, 2006 15hp, less than 30 hours, carbed model, running last weekend.

s-l640.jpg

It looks clean, and in good shape. Any reason I shouldn't be racing over there?

So it's on;
IMG_E5937.JPG

But now I'm concerned as looking through the manual I see the Lanyard stop switch and the Previous owner didn't include a lanyard..
switch on the outboard looks like this;
kill.jpg

Anyone know the part number I should be looking for?
I think it might be 8M0092850.

They'll run without the lanyard, it's a safety feature, that's it to the left of the choke. There's a toggle switch the one end of the lanyard slips over. You then place the switch in the "up" position and give it few yanks until it starts. If you fall overboard the lanyard will pull the switch down effectively shutting the engine off.

I think you can get a lanyard at any Merc dealer. Yep, they have a loop on one end and a clasp on the other to fasten to your clothing. Do yourself a favor and use it. Everyone thinks that they won't ever fall out of the boat but it does happen and usually at the most in opportune times, and most people don't wear their floatation devise.

Those lanyards are on the shelf at any mercury dealer.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk

Amazon has universal lanyards. They have the connector to fit every model and you can remove what you dont need. Also a good idea to get a spare one while you are at it.

For my tiller motors, I have a Velcro wrist strap made for PWCs that attaches to the lanyard, again available on Amazon. I much prefer it over having to clip it to a life jacket. Put it on your steering hand and it stays out of your way and is quicker on/off.

wmk0002 said:
Amazon has universal lanyards. They have the connector to fit every model and you can remove what you dont need. Also a good idea to get a spare one while you are at it.

For my tiller motors, I have a Velcro wrist strap made for PWCs that attaches to the lanyard, again available on Amazon. I much prefer it over having to clip it to a life jacket. Put it on your steering hand and it stays out of your way and is quicker on/off.

I just clip the clip onto the tether to form a loop and put my hand through that.

RaisedByWolves said:
wmk0002 said:

I just clip the clip onto the tether to form a loop and put my hand through that.

I've done that before but it never felt very secure. Granted I've never been tossed to test it out though lol.

wmk0002 said:
RaisedByWolves said:
wmk0002 said:

I've done that before but it never felt very secure. Granted I've never been tossed to test it out though lol.

I figure anything violent enough to throw me out of the boat should be enough to knock it off of the button.

If the state of my fishing lines when I get to the fishing hole are any indicator my theory should hold true.

Snagged on everydamnthing.

RaisedByWolves said:
Snagged on everydamnthing.

Ha! guaranteed to be wrapped around the Miin prop then!

Transom saver installed;
Saver.jpg

Also - how to get the yardwork done: dump the gravel in front of the boat... :shock:
IMG_E5951.JPG

Father's day Fishing trip, loads of fun, caught some fish, ran the new Merc, everything was great!

MEUQ5610.JPG

Thanks for all the help.

Latest posts