E15 fuel ... now we're done for ...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaleH

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
E15.jpg
C'mon man ... what did you do O'Biden? He signed it into law today ...

Man,this is gonna kill us at the BOAT gas pumps ... can you imagine what they will charge for limited application 'boat fuel', whether it be old MTBE or even E10 fuel?

Remember in November ... let's go Brandon!

DaleH said:
C'mon man ... what did you do O'Biden? He signed it into law today ...

Man,this is gonna kill us at the BOAT gas pumps ... can you imagine what they will charge for limited application 'boat fuel', whether it be old MTBE or even E10 fuel?

Remember in November ... let's go Brandon!

All Biden did was allow the sale of E-15 during the summer...it had been prohibited.

Who you need to go after is the Governors who are mandating required sale of E-15

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...g-gas-stations-offer-e-15-ethanol/9570674002/
Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds signs bill requiring gas stations to ...
May 17, 2022 — The law mandates gas stations and other fuel retailers to sell gas with 15% ethanol, known as E15, beginning in 2026.

Also - Biden wasn't the first. Trump ended the summer ban on E-15 back in 2019...the court reversed that.
The Trump administration said Friday that it has lifted a summertime ban on the use of E15

Court Strikes Trump EPA Rule for Full-Year 15% Ethanol Sales

nothing wrong with selling higher percentages of ethanol. nothing wrong with allowing those sales. there is something very wrong with mandating those sales.
paving the way for electric cars........... preparing to mandate rice derived ethanol to power the electric charging stations! roflmao

Interesting reading!

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/dockline/beware-of-e15-at-the-pump/?mkt_tok=MzY3LU1OVS0wMjQAAAGE55RWTKnHt0tsrRz8sjMGh6f50iuR98gLuossEu-q1u3oVniu_kXjsCijmAnoGPN6RF0ykz7Y3XQfFPLbINFufPfyjqT1GABpPf6PXS9O

I use the puregas website to find ethanol free near me. Ontario Canada has already mandated a change to e15 by 2025. I run ethanol free in all my small engines. Unfortunately that means running premium 91 here. The smaller old outboards like the ones I run actually run noticeably better on 87. Freakin ethanol wreaks havoc on old motors. I help a buddy who owns a powersports repair business and have seen the corrosion it causes in the fuel systems in older snowmobiles, outboards etc. You can still get ethanol free at the marina but for the guy like me running a small old tiller outboard who fills up at the gas station, you have to be careful what you put in the tank.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I don’t have a non ethanol station near me, so I’ll have to resort to this.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+to+remove+ethanol+from+gasoline&t=brave&ia=web&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DopPZD8-2fLk&pn=1

ETA: this looks interesting.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RO1hsaxaMXo

Last time I got some pure gas from the local station near me that sells it, pure 87 was only 10c more than 87 ethanol blend.

wmk0002 said:
Last time I got some pure gas from the local station near me that sells it, pure 87 was only 10c more than 87 ethanol blend.
You must live in a Red [free] State ... we can't get non''E' fuels here in the Northeast, less on the water.

DaleH said:
wmk0002 said:
You must live in a Red [free] State ... we can't get non''E' fuels here in the Northeast, less on the water.

It's just your particular politicians - MN is a Blue state and we got E-Free gas all over the place...2 places within 2 miles of me alone.

MN Fisher said:
DaleH said:
wmk0002 said:

It's just your particular politicians - MN is a Blue state and we got E-Free gas all over the place...2 places within 2 miles of me alone.

yep, its his politicians alright. northeast is one huge anti american commune. that means its blue

DaleH said:
wmk0002 said:

Great state of Alabama. Us, Mississippi, and Oklahoma are about as red as it gets lol. I have noticed the options declining though. It's also harder to find off-road diesel now.

wmk0002 said:
Great state of Alabama. Us, Mississippi, and Oklahoma are about as red as it gets lol. I have noticed the options declining though. It's also harder to find off-road diesel now.

Well, I think you can guess what is available in my state.

BTW, it is now official. I'll be paying $7/gal tomorrow to fill up my truck (diesel). 3/4 tank going to cost me north of $130. Not looking for sympathy, as I can absorb this or cut back on my driving. Not so with those working folks who can't absorb this kind of increase. My congressman says hey no worry, just go out and buy electric vehicles.

wmk0002 said:
DaleH said:
wmk0002 said:

hoarding? refinery shut down? lack of oil going to the U.S. refineries? if off road diesel was taxed, would there be more of it?

poorthang said:
wmk0002 said:
DaleH said:

hoarding? refinery shut down? lack of oil going to the U.S. refineries? if off road diesel was taxed, would there be more of it?

Not sure. Although with prices continuing to go up I wouldn't be surprised to learn people are using it in their trucks. Probably a ton of DEF deletes going on in my area as well due to that extra cost plus a looming DEF shortage. We don't have to pass emissions here so I'm pretty sure it was pretty common prior to prices exploding lol.

wmk0002 said:
poorthang said:
wmk0002 said:

Not sure. Although with prices continuing to go up I wouldn't be surprised to learn people are using it in their trucks. Probably a ton of DEF deletes going on in my area as well due to that extra cost plus a looming DEF shortage. We don't have to pass emissions here so I'm pretty sure it was pretty common prior to prices exploding lol.
hard to get around the dye they put in off road fuel. huge problem if uever checked. they WiLL see the permanent red dye it the fuel system. folks can buy it in bulk, even have tanker trailers dropped on their property and exchange for full ones. they can power all kinds of equipment, heaters, burn brush, generate electricity for off grid, etc: think cottage industry (black market fuel) here! it is not illegal to run it as long as you dont run it on the road unless it is for transporting equipment from one location to the next.

Ok, so inspired by this thread and my recent discovery of my own unbeknownst to me fuel issues, Ive decided to make a DIY ethanol/fuel separator.
If there's enough interest, and if Jim feels its Ok for me to show people how to play with flammable liquids Id be happy to do a writeup on this.

The base for this build will be this 3gal water jug I picked up from Wallyworld today.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-Gallon-Stackable-Water-Bottle/180676866?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222222000000000&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=10352200394&wl4=pla-1103028060075&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl10=Walmart&wl11=Online&wl12=180676866_0&wl14=3%20gallon%20water%20bottle&veh=sem&gclsrc=ds

Im not crazy about the cap that comes with it, but I think for the time being and the cost it will give me a good start with some improvements.

As to the issue I recently uncovered it relates to my need for speed and a fancy (Or so I thought) new gas tank I picked up. Its called a dura tank and while it is durable, the **** thing leaks like a sieve.

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2040-parts.com%2F_content%2Fitems%2Fimages%2F22%2F2058422%2F001.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I have had this tank a lil over a year and while I was having motor issues, I thought it was due to abusing this motor trying different things to hop it up and gain what speed I could with the 25hp block. While not building a "Speed boat" I wanted whatever I could get out of the motor as our lake is long and when storms come up off of the river I want to get off the lake asap.

In the normal course of things I usually add some oil to the existing mix and add a couple gallons of fresh gas on the way to the lake. At the end of last year I had issues with the motor idling and a distinct lack of power and as mentioned, I just thought the engine was getting tired due to my usage and mods.

First time out this year i realized what my issue was, bad fuel! My theory was I was consistently running watery fuel due to my refill/top off method of fueling the boat before going out. Going out this year with a fresh 6gal of fuel mix I immediately noticed I had gained back all of my power and then some.

With nothing other than a carb clean and fresh fuel I picked up 4mph over what I was consistently running last year and the motor ran great. The idle was perfect and the motor ran great overall.

Then that combined with this thread got me wondering what improvements might be seen with pure gas made through phase separation of the ethanol/water in the gas Im getting.

Didnt mean to write a book, but let me know if there is any interest.

RBW, I for one would be interested in seeing your writeup.

Dumb question -- does removing the ethanol change the gasoline blend in any way that might be harmful to small engines? I think I know the answer, but it is always good to be cautious.

PS: If anyone comes up with a way to change gasoline into #2 Diesel, I would really be interested! haha.

Latest posts