Deck mods

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooterj2003

Reaction score
I see some guys frame WTH 2x4’s,seems to me they’re adding way to much weight and bulk though it seems sturdy,I’m new at this but I’ve done house framing and seen boat framing and also seems to me if your adding to a metal boat metal framing is the best choice,Aluminum is on my mind also since most metal boats are aluminum( we don’t want problems with electrolysis)and I’m thinking aluminum framing though different slightly more tech than wood framing,way lighter with as I said less bulk saves room too.If I had to wood frame I would make plywood bulkheads with marine grade ply easier tech but costly material I would bet,my experience aluminum can be scrapped at a yard really cheap.
As I said above though I am new at marine work,I was a Marine,served on many ships and rode many boats,but,my personal experience is a Coleman canoe and 12’ foot Grumman Jon boat,with 65 lbs Minnkota,which is my subject now -a fishing deck and some other mods and maybe modifying a small trailer to carry it( available I hope for less than $200.

Please forgive,I’m new here, from NY for now,I hunt, fish ,shoot guns,and believe in freedom,and have a Jon boat I like using for catfishing ,my favorite fishing.sorry I did not introduce myself proper.

See the link in my Sig-line.

Only wood I used in my modifications was the decks - and that's only 1/2" plywood - rest is aluminum angle, riveted together and to the hull.

To see the start and finished product - F-9 project completed

I was actually looking online ,before I found this great place,the guy was a young guy and it came out beautiful but he used 2x4 framing layed on the flat,I’m sure it was sturdy but heavier than necessary and took up some space but in the end it really looked good.
Mine is,by the way,an Alumacraft 12’ Jon boat not a Grumman,brain fart,but it has room for improvement ,casting deck up front and a gas motor one day,I have a 65 lb Minkota and a lot places here,don’t allow gas motors,the minnkota moves it along.I kinda wished I had bought 2 more feet sometimes!

Shooterj2003 said:
I see some guys frame WTH 2x4’s,seems to me they’re adding way to much weight and bulk though it seems sturdy,I’m new at this but I’ve done house framing and seen boat framing and also seems to me if your adding to a metal boat metal framing is the best choice,Aluminum is on my mind also since most metal boats are aluminum( we don’t want problems with electrolysis)and I’m thinking aluminum framing though different slightly more tech than wood framing,way lighter with as I said less bulk saves room too.If I had to wood frame I would make plywood bulkheads with marine grade ply easier tech but costly material I would bet,my experience aluminum can be scrapped at a yard really cheap.
As I said above though I am new at marine work,I was a Marine,served on many ships and rode many boats,but,my personal experience is a Coleman canoe and 12’ foot Grumman Jon boat,with 65 lbs Minnkota,which is my subject now -a fishing deck and some other mods and maybe modifying a small trailer to carry it( available I hope for less than $200.
Aluminum is not cheap, but im your best bet. Hmu. TrickedTinsJonboats.com
9d9db193b5094e6c59fabf52bcb72ad1.jpg

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Find an actual metal supplier.

Locally - cheapest 'big box' place want's $12.70 for an 8' length of 1/16" 1x1 angle
Coremark has one of it's locations here - I paid $14.60 for a 16' length...and they'll cut in half for free.

I plan to use some old extension ladder as framing. Usually can find cheap old ladders in sale sites.

LDUBS said:
Neighbor said:
I plan to use some old extension ladder as framing. Usually can find cheap old ladders in sale sites.

Do you cut the rungs out and just use the rails? Seems like it would be super strong -- like a truss joist.

I cut them in two and shortened the rungs to achieve proper height. Using 1 1/2" black pvc pipe over the rungs to tie everything together.

I went with aluminum angle and plywood coated w/gluvit, that went over a small aluminum front deck. If I went longer, was going to use a piece of alum ladder with some type of support. It is a simple deck with no hatches,

Attachments

• IMG_6070.jpg
    IMG_6070.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6072.jpg
    IMG_6072.jpg
    505.2 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6076.jpg
    IMG_6076.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 258
  • IMG_6133.jpg
    IMG_6133.jpg