Walleye rod power and action?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zuren

Reaction score
Any walleye fishermen or fisherwomen on the board? I'm trying to select a new rod (maybe) for a new reel I picked up over Christmas.

Much of the walleye fishing I've experienced is trolling with a line counter reel. Santa brought me a new Diawa Lexa line counter reel, but I only have 1 rod that I can mount it (historically, I'm a spinning rod guy). When I lived on the east coast, I picked up a medium-heavy, fast casting rod but I had stripers and blue fish in mind for that purchase. For trolling for walleye, I'm seeing mixed reviews/advice of whether you should use a medium or medium-heavy. I'm willing to spend the money if I have to, but just want to figure out if I already have what I need.

Thanks!

Most of the fishing I do is trolling for rainbow trout in lakes. I don't see a need for spending a lot on sensitive graphite rods for trolling, especially with down riggers. I have Lexa 100 line counters on 7'6" fiberglass rods. One is a Lamiglas light action and the other is Eagle Claw medium light. The Eagle Claw was half the price and I think I like it better in fact. The rods I have are actually designed for Kokanee, which have a very soft mouth. Hence the lighter actions. It took me awhile to get used to these rods, especially when landing a larger fish. Now that I'm used to them I like them a lot.

I have no idea how fishing for walleye might compare to fishing for rainbows. Sounds like you need more a more robust rod. Sorry I can't help you more.

PS: My spares are UglyStiks with spinning reels. I like them because they can take a lot of abuse.

Walleyes are what I'm after most of the time. I have a couple different rods that I use depending on what I'm throwing.

For crank pulling and bottom bouncing I think the Shimano FX casting rods are great, and they are super cheap. I prefer the 7ft medium fast. I think a soft tip is very important for trolling, especially with braid. Allows a little bit of give so the fish can actually take the bait and snag a hook.

You said you already had one line counter, if you want more, the Shakespeare ATS series are really good for the money as well. They are rather crude and cheap feeling, but the counters work flawlessly and the drag is smooth. That's all you really need.

For light jigs, spoons, and jigging raps, I like the Berkley Lightning rod 6'6" medium mod-fast 1 piece. Very sensitive, and they still have enough backbone to get the lift you need with jigging raps. They are $40-50, I usually get them from Bass Pro, but some Walmarts carry them.

Latest posts