Teardrop camper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
87f49314828f33b3c915aee24a3b7c7c.jpg

I have always been curious about as well….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They'd be perfect for me, if I was still in my 20's or 30's and limber. Now I just wish I was and know that minimalist stuff is fine, but my body's sense of what is "minimal" has escalated a little bit.

Why, I could make one at home and save a bundle !!!

Teardrop trailer.jpg

:roll:

If a smaller unit is the objective also look at Scamps and Casitas brands. Not teardrops but they are compact. Kind of pricey though. And for top dollar I think Airstream still makes a compact travel trailer.

It would not have to be exactly, a "teardrop". There's quite a few out there that have been fashioned as a "squaredrop", and also "CTC's", or cargo-to-camper conversions. Nothing says you can't "roll your own", as it were. Only your imagination is the limit. One of the more recent methods of construction is structural foam, laminated with 1/4" plywood for walls, and even cabinetry. (Yes, the 2" foam sold by the home improvement stores.)
Just go here, and start reading................. https://www.tnttt.com/

Roger

Kismet said:
They'd be perfect for me, if I was still in my 20's or 30's and limber. Now I just wish I was and know that minimalist stuff is fine, but my body's sense of what is "minimal" has escalated a little bit.

Why, I could make one at home and save a bundle !!!

Teardrop trailer.jpg

:roll:

stylish , yet functional! why they cut the bath tub in half?

GTS225 said:
It would not have to be exactly, a "teardrop". There's quite a few out there that have been fashioned as a "squaredrop", and also "CTC's", or cargo-to-camper conversions. Nothing says you can't "roll your own", as it were. Only your imagination is the limit. One of the more recent methods of construction is structural foam, laminated with 1/4" plywood for walls, and even cabinetry. (Yes, the 2" foam sold by the home improvement stores.)
Just go here, and start reading................. https://www.tnttt.com/

Roger

Awesome, thanks!

poorthang said:

(Not sure if this was tongue-in-cheek, or he really meant it.) Why, for fenders, silly! Some states require fenders on trailers.

Roger

GTS225 said:
poorthang said:

(Not sure if this was tongue-in-cheek, or he really meant it.) Why, for fenders, silly! Some states require fenders on trailers.

Roger

if you are not sure if that was tongue in cheek, maybe you should visit America more.

poorthang said:
if you are not sure if that was tongue in cheek, maybe you should visit America more.

The snarky response was out of line. I don't live up between your ears with you, so had no way of knowing your mindset when you typed that. If you'll notice, my location is in the left "header", so I don't need to "visit America"......I was born here.

Roger

Great allowances must be made when two different cultures meet---I think that is a quote from DUNE by Frank Herbert.

I really kinda of like the rustic home-made trailer, but I'm old and a little...er...let's call it eccentric. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I think the washtub wheel wells are, lessee...uh...hmmm....thematically congruent.

This is supposed to be fun, guys. :lol:

Kismet said:
Great allowances must be made when two different cultures meet---I think that is a quote from DUNE by Frank Herbert.

I really kinda of like the rustic home-made trailer, but I'm old and a little...er...let's call it eccentric. :roll: :roll: :roll:
I think the washtub wheel wells are, lessee...uh...hmmm....thematically congruent.

This is supposed to be fun, guys. :lol:

you said something funny. maybe it will spread!

I guess " why" would be my question? If you have bad weather, you cant even cook. I dont mind small, but those are.......tiny !! Worse part about them is you cant pull the boat !!! Now...my idea is my motorhome, as I have no problem taking the boat with me and if the weather is bad, so what, have plenty of room inside to do whatever....my two cents anyway......

I used to have a Grady White 208 with a full enclosure that we would camp in much like a teardrop. At the campground the tent was mainly to hold our spot. I had propane heat and burners and LOVED to spend a weekend in it. We would get out early and when the morning bite would slow, we would sizzle up some bacon eggs and toast and make coffee. Other fishermen would get MAD when they smelled the food on the water. I've actually had guys cuss me when I wouldn't sell them a sandwich, ha ha!

Teardrop trailers can be pretty great. There are some awesome builds on YouTube. Many of them have a flip-up back so you CAN cook in the rain, along with awnings and so on. If we didn't live in the rurals, I would have built one already.

Look at some of these: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=teardrop+rally

If you just search "teardrop" you will see many people's builds. After watching a number of builds, you will learn the better techniques and pitfalls to avoid.

If you can rebuild a boat, you can probably build a mini-camper.

I used to have a Grady White 208 with a full enclosure that we would camp in much like a teardrop. At the campground the tent was mainly to hold our spot. I had propane heat and burners and LOVED to spend a weekend in it. We would get out early and when the morning bite would slow, we would sizzle up some bacon eggs and toast and make coffee. Other fishermen would get MAD when they smelled the food on the water. I've actually had guys cuss me when I wouldn't sell them a sandwich, ha ha!

We used to do the same thing with a Bayliner Skagit (22' soft top model with full standup canvass).

Latest posts