Canoe with Jet??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keitht

Reaction score
I have a large "cargo canoe." It is 18 feet long and about as wide as a small jon in the middle. An 8 hp motor with a prop will not plane it out. I am in the market for a new motor and was wondering if anyone here has ever heard of running an outboard jet on a canoe?

Man I just don't think that would be a good idea. Number one you won't find a jet under 25hp. I don't think a canoe could handle that. And the handling characteristics being what they are with a jet I have to believe that it would be more than a handful.

:WELCOME:

You'd be the first I've heard to sink a canoe with an over weight motor.Smallest outboard jet I've seen is 60HP.A canoe is not made to plane and would be dangerous.A canoe should ride level in the water not stern low nose high.Here's some life saving info on canoe trim. https://www.mohawkcanoes.com/canoesafety.htm

You might be right about a jet not handling properly. I doubt that many or any of you have seen a canoe as big as this thing. It will easily handle a 10 hp motor. I have ran it for many years on rivers as large as the Missouri and Mississipi and as small as the Huzzah. I've ran it with a guy over 400 lbs. Ran it stacked high with gear and deer on hunting trips. Never even come close to capsizing. It goes where my big jet won't.

The manufacturer of these boats, sells quite a few of them to people who use them to haul their Moose out.

I'll probably go with a 10 hp.

Sounds like a cool boat.
Have any pictures and how about some of the bigger jet boat?

That would be awesome! I have seen a 20hp jet for sale with a boat.

https://www.marineusainc.com/searchengine/Details.aspx?diid=1672359&bvdid=6605&type=AN&indid=1&sortCol=Length&sortDir=DESC&page=2&#

It's real hard to keep the nose of any canoe down. Look at the video I posted under "1236 Tracker vs. Scanoe". You'll see in the video we have my anchor and the crank from a CJ7 (that's what the guy uses for an anchor) on the bow of the canoe and it still won't stay down!

Latest posts