Converting from tiller to steering wheel?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaSt Em OuT

Reaction score
I have a 1986 bass tracker guide v16 with a 40 horse tiller on it i was curious as to how hard it would be to change it to a steering wheel setup. If i am able to do so where would i be able to find the parts to do so?

Depends on what motor it is. Usually, you will need a set of controls, and a steering cable setup, plus a solid mounting place (console) for the steering wheel. What motor is it? Some motors are easier than others. Many Johnnyrudes have electric choke solenoids, so you can give the motor full choke from the console. I know my buddies 2003 Yamaha Vmax 150 doesn't. He has to pull the choke lever on the motor, and then jump back on the stern deck to push it back in after cranking it. Course, my 1970s Johnsons have electric choke. Hmm. Just goes to show why I am an OMC guy....

This maybe a long shot but here's the shot anyway.Was your model motor made in a tiller and a remote operation versions?If the motor was manufactured in two different configuration,remote and tiller.It may be as simple as locating the parts to convert it over to remote operation.I know some of the Merc 4 stroke 15HP were made for tiller or stick.I looked at a tracker with stick steer and an Alumacraft with the same motor in tiller steer.I just don't like the back/front stick steer.

Its a yamaha 40hp 2 stroke with electric choke i dont really know of any sites that have parts for such a job. I suppose i will dedicate my lunch to searching for some of the parts on google

thanks for the help CaSt Em

Latest posts