Homemade tiller handle extention

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stone4140

Reaction score
For those who can't handle spending $50 on things that are worth it here's a project. I used air compressor fittings and an old speaker stand to make a tiller handle extension. It also required some brass conversion pieces and a piece of pvc conversion piece with a glue end opening and a piece of hose and 2 clamps. All in all I spent $10 cause I had some pieces laying around. This tiller unlike any I have seen online is quick release so when your driving its not in your face. And like the fancy 50 dollar ones its swivels due to a swiveling air fitting. And it can also lock straight if you just unscrew the quick release and screw the handle right on. I am using it on a bow mount but I wish I would have had it when I was transom mounted as well. I think you can see what I did in the pics. I just used JB weld to hold the female fitting inside the "speaker stand. It could also telescope because the stand did but I didn't need it any longer than it is and it added some weight. I would use aluminum next time but it was there and free. I painted it all black that's why the pieces are a bit hard to tell apart.

Attachments

• tillerhandle4.jpg
    tillerhandle4.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 1,886
  • tillerhandle3.jpg
    tillerhandle3.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 1,888
  • tillerhandle2.jpg
    tillerhandle2.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,893
  • tillerhandle1.jpg
    tillerhandle1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,887
This will also work with the late 70's and early 80's Gamefisher outboards.The twist grip on these motors control everything from shut down to wide open.

That is the kind of stuff my dad likes. Me, I would rather take a nice pile of brand new aluminum, and spend countless days and dollars fabricating that, as my mind works to "create" and is not so good trying "convert" existing items, but that is a fine demonstration of the way he thinks.

Nice work. I like it.

Thanks for the nice comments. I find a great thrill in looking around my garage and Home Depot to use things meant for one application for another. For some reason it seems that things are cheaper when they are not used for there original purpose. Does that make sense? :D Ice out is too close to fabricate anything from scratch right now. I have been thinking about making a couple more streamline ones and seeing if some fishing buddies like them. We'll see. But that speaker stand will probably be the only one in the world to assist in pulling in a big slimed up spring Pike. :lol:

Very cool! Here's a little tiller extension I made for my '66 20 hp Johnson. It's just a piece of 1 1/4" thin-walled PVC with a few slits in one end (be sure to drill a small hole at the end of each slice to prevent splitting), and a couple of pipe clamps. It works great! While I can remove it in about 10 seconds if need be, I just leave it on all the time. It makes steering super easy, allows me move forward in the boat to get on plane more quickly and allows me to stand up on my back bench at low speeds to see where I'm going. Best of all it only cost about $2!

rodholderandtillerextension-1.jpg

kfa4303 said:
Very cool! Here's a little tiller extension I made for my '66 20 hp Johnson. It's just a piece of 1 1/4" thin-walled PVC with a few slits in one end (be sure to drill a small hole at the end of each slice to prevent splitting), and a couple of pipe clamps. It works great! While I can remove it in about 10 seconds if need be, I just leave it on all the time. It makes steering super easy, allows me move forward in the boat to get on plane more quickly and allows me to stand up on my back bench at low speeds to see where I'm going. Best of all it only cost about $2!

rodholderandtillerextension-1.jpg

Welcome to the Forums :)

Tiller extension topics come up fairly often around here, and I will admit--this is a pretty good example of how to make one. With that being said, the moderators frown upon digging up old 'archival' threads and posting new stuff on them. It just helps keep the forums from getting overly cluttered with repetitive information. But on the plus side, nice job on using the search feature!!

Latest posts