Anyone out there play guitar?

Anything you do off the water can go here. Racing, Modeling, collecting? Talk about it here.
breachless

Post by breachless »

I play quite a bit still. Not like I used to when I was playing in bands, but it's something I will likely never give up. My 3 month old daughter absolutely LOVES it when I plug in and play her songs...

Anyway, here is a video of my band from a few years back doing a metal version of Micheal Jacksons "Beat It". The vocals are a bit shaky, but you get the idea. I am the guitarist with the Les Paul that plays the Van Halen solo in the video. Check it out!

.:Crosby:.

Post by .:Crosby:. »

I started playing bass when I was about 13, I took some starter lessons that's gave me a good foundation then ran off with it from there.
After that I started screwing around with the guitar. I bought a chord book, learned a couple songs and kinda built up from there.
I played in a band for about 2 years, now I just play ata the house and whwnever there is a bonfire.

Here they are...
The accoustic is a samick acoustic/electric. (Bonfire guitar)
The bass on the left is a music man olp stingray. This is what I learned on
About a year ago I striped it down and repainted it and bought new pickups for it
The other bass is my baby... Epiphone thunderbird..I seen her hanging on the wall
In the music store and fell in love.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
14' PolarKraft V-Hull
Underconstruction

BaitCaster

Post by BaitCaster »

Yep, I played in a bar cover band professionally for three years in the 80's (big hair and spandex :oops:) before coming to my senses and going to university! Don't play much these days (any spare time I have is spent fishing) but I still have my guitars: 1973 Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul and 1985 Kramer Pacer (from when they were still made in the US). I have a small Marshall solid state/tube amp that sounds amazing.
“There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.” ~Stephen Wright

The Livin Large Project - https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopi ... 21&t=14160

fender66

Post by fender66 »

I still play 1-2 hours every night before bed. My way of relaxing....but it does make for late nights. My usual gig is at church for the last 10 years, and about 2 years ago, I agreed to play mass at the church I grew up in. About the only thing that it keeps me from doing is fishing, so it's not too bad. I can still take off whenever I want....I just don't that often.

I play mostly acoustic in church, but I play electric too for the youth group retreats. That's always a lot of fun a couple times a year. I also play keys on occasion, and sing a lot. I've been blessed with a natural self taught gift from God....not to mention great gear!

Here are a few pics of my babies. (I don't have pics of my strats...hmmm, I wonder why I've not done that yet???)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peace,

Chris/Fender66´¯`●.¸.¸¸.●´¯`●.¸><((((º>
Every day should be Fender Day!

2011 TinBoats/BYOB Labor Day Tournament Champion :wink:

bobberboy
Donor

Post by bobberboy »

I am living proof that you can't teach an old dog. I am struggling along but am determined to learn to play an instrument before I kick off. I've been taking lessons since February and have a very kind teacher who gives me encouragement despite the fact that I've got no native talent. In addition, I am a lefty which adds a whole other lever of complexity (I can't even go to a music store to buy a left-handed thumb pick). I have a six string acoustic/electric and an electric; both are Ibanez (not many for a lefty to choose from). I am really interested in blues but my world tour is quite a ways off yet. My friend tells me that you can only get better. I hope he's right. I was going to reward myself for my 60th birthday this year with a Martin OM1 but I have to work a lot harder first.

breachless

Post by breachless »

fender66 wrote:I still play 1-2 hours every night before bed. My way of relaxing....but it does make for late nights. My usual gig is at church for the last 10 years, and about 2 years ago, I agreed to play mass at the church I grew up in. About the only thing that it keeps me from doing is fishing, so it's not too bad. I can still take off whenever I want....I just don't that often.

I play mostly acoustic in church, but I play electric too for the youth group retreats. That's always a lot of fun a couple times a year. I also play keys on occasion, and sing a lot. I've been blessed with a natural self taught gift from God....not to mention great gear!

Here are a few pics of my babies. (I don't have pics of my strats...hmmm, I wonder why I've not done that yet???)
That '70 Gibson made me drool all over my keyboard! Very nice.

Also, are those the George L's cut-to-fit cables you are using on your pedal board?

fender66

Post by fender66 »

[/quote]

Also, are those the George L's cut-to-fit cables you are using on your pedal board?[/quote]

Yes, those are George L's. I have so many pedals that I decided to make my own custom pedal board and the G L's fit the bill just perfectly. Expensive, but worth it.

Now the Gibson...that has a very cool story to it. My wife's uncle, who lives about 10 hours from us and we hardly ever see, bought it new in 1970. I saw him last at my father in laws funeral about a year and a half ago. When he learned that I played, he told me he had it in his closet but hadn't played it for years. I told him I'd love to see/play it someday and he was very receptive. Last Christmas, my wife didn't know what to get me for a gift, so 3 days before Christmas she called him and asked if he might be willing to give it up to me and how much it would cost. He didn't even blink an eye and sent it to her for the cost of shipping. Yes....I cried like a baby when she walked out with it. It did need a little work, but I have a great guy that reset the bridge and set it up. Sound quality is pretty darn good, but honestly, my Collings is the best sounding acoustic I've ever played and my #1 most of the time. If you can afford a Collings.....you will never regret it. My Taylor is my #2. The Gibby...stays at home. I'd be sick if anything happened to it.
Peace,

breachless

Post by breachless »

fender66 wrote:

Also, are those the George L's cut-to-fit cables you are using on your pedal board?[/quote]

Yes, those are George L's. I have so many pedals that I decided to make my own custom pedal board and the G L's fit the bill just perfectly. Expensive, but worth it.

Now the Gibson...that has a very cool story to it. My wife's uncle, who lives about 10 hours from us and we hardly ever see, bought it new in 1970. I saw him last at my father in laws funeral about a year and a half ago. When he learned that I played, he told me he had it in his closet but hadn't played it for years. I told him I'd love to see/play it someday and he was very receptive. Last Christmas, my wife didn't know what to get me for a gift, so 3 days before Christmas she called him and asked if he might be willing to give it up to me and how much it would cost. He didn't even blink an eye and sent it to her for the cost of shipping. Yes....I cried like a baby when she walked out with it. It did need a little work, but I have a great guy that reset the bridge and set it up. Sound quality is pretty darn good, but honestly, my Collings is the best sounding acoustic I've ever played and my #1 most of the time. If you can afford a Collings.....you will never regret it. My Taylor is my #2. The Gibby...stays at home. I'd be sick if anything happened to it.[/quote]

That's awesome!

I too ended up using the George L's for my pedal board and it was well worth it... I swear the sound quality is also better using these over other cheaper cables.

bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

I've been playing for 6 or 7 years now. I'm not that bad. I will never give it up because it is so much fun and whenever there is a party, you are always well liked among the crowd.

I'm playing with my Fender Mexistrat (bought used and still playing well) and my pride and joy: an Ovation acoustic electric. It's a prototype model and one of a kind. I love it. So much.

Previously played through a 15 watt VOX that held up well, until I started playing in venues. I needed more power, so I got a Marshall 412 Vintage 25th anniversary cab. No head, still looking for a tube head. My cousin is an audio electronics major and has a B52 all tube that he's going to give me. I can't wait.
I intend to live forever, or die trying.

My Mod: 'Fraid Knot

bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

What kinda music you guys listen to?

breachless

Post by breachless »

I listen to a pretty wide variety of stuff, but my first love has always been metal (ever since the 3rd grade when I got my hands on Anthrax's Among the Living cassette tape... It was love at first listen!) Anything from Iron Maiden, Slayer, Ozzy, Anthrax and Metallica to Meshuggah, Pantera, Candiria, Soilwork, Mastodon or In Flames.

I also LOVE some of the less heavy bands out there... I love 311 for some reason, as well as bands like Faith No More (one of my absolute favorite bands ever...), Incubus (the older stuff), and a lot of funk stuff. There was this metal/funk fusion band in the 90's called Infectious Grooves that were pretty killer...

I also like classic rock as well as my guilty pleasure: anything that came out of the 80's, including the cheesy 80's pop stuff.

I will have to post some pics of my gear one of these days...

bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

Oh so you're a metal guy? I ;ike the new age metal like Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, Atreyu, and alotta other metal.

You should see my ipod songlist. Theres everything from Cream, Eric Clapton, and Black Sabbath to Selena Gomez,Eminem, Paco de Lucia, Kesha, and Travie McCoy, to BFMV and A7X, Iron Maiden, and Nirvana. So I'd say I listen to a pretty wide variety of music.

I don't really like Metallica, except for their OLD stuff. Like anything before Kirk Hammett. Yeah, MAYBE some of his EARLY stuff is okay. But thats pretty much it.

fender66

Post by fender66 »

Sorry guys....that metal stuff is a bit out of my league. I will always love classic rock and play it at home in the basement a lot, but I play with 3 different church bands, one of which is just me and a bass player. Other stuff for fun I mess with is jazz, but I've got a long way to go with that.
Peace,

bandgeek1263

Post by bandgeek1263 »

I listen to it only for the guitar work. Through listening to it, I have come to enjoy flamenco guitar. It is truly specatular.

Classic rock was my first love and always will be. Lol

You just can't beat the sound of the oldies...

raven174us

Post by raven174us »

I mainly play hard rock myself but I listen to a wide verity of music. Anything from Lynyrd Skynyrd to Killswtich Engage.
I don't spend a lot of money on gear. Here is the last set up I had.