Material Links for your conversion

*****This section is for Full Boat Projects Only*****
You must be a registered user to be able to read the posts in this forum
BayouBlackBass

Post by BayouBlackBass »

Any idea where I can purchase a port side console? I want to install one on my Alumacraft to give the wife some protection from the wind on those cold mornings runnin' across the lake.

450clown

Post by 450clown »

Has anybody found a decent price on rivets? I checked into mcmaster Carr but they were a bit high. Looking for 1 inch long 316 shank wide head and also in narrow head.
Haha about 250 count on each

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

asaclass6

Post by asaclass6 »

450clown wrote: 14 May 2020, 22:20 Has anybody found a decent price on rivets? I checked into mcmaster Carr but they were a bit high. Looking for 1 inch long 316 shank wide head and also in narrow head.
Haha about 250 count on each

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk
I ordered my closed end rivets through Grainger- very affordable for the type and count you are looking to get.

I also ordered my aluminum hinges through Grainger.com
Go Huskers !

Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

I noticed Fastenal was listed for stainless. They have some that's for sure, but since they went no cash allowed and accounts only I haven't been in there. I do check their website for things from time to time, but anything i need right now is never in my local store. I found atleast over the counter Copper State Bolt has a better selection of stainless, lower price, will take walk-in cash customers (maybe not during covid), and will sell smaller quantities. They are not nation wide to my knowledge. Just a western states chain , but they are expanding. Their prices are good enough on the small stuff I usually just buy 100ct box even if I just need a hand full. https://www.copperstate.com/

McMaster was already mentioned, but they are a great source for stainless as well. Huge inventory and selection. Better selection even than Copper State. They tend to be a little more than Copperstate, but always less (when I check) than Fastenal. McMaster has a reputation for being expensive in the industry, but when I actually check on many things they are quite competitive, and they ship very fast.

MSC is am industrial supplier who also has some stainless. Sadly they are geared towards commercial customers. Their catalog price and web price is usually on the high side for everything. I didn't do business with them for years because of it. When they bought Enco and proudly announced I was now one of their customers I wasn't to happy. I told them so. That I would not buy from them at catalog prices or their published web prices. They told me to logon and check my business prices since my Enco business account was now in their system. They are pretty competitive, but unless you setup an account and logon to their website you will never see those prices. They do run discounts and shipping code specials almost everyday, but my business price is usually lower. Don't know how that would reflect with a new customer.

I get most of my rivets from Bolt Depot or McMaster. Stainless or aluminum.

Bob La Londe

Post by Bob La Londe »

Aluminum sheet: I think often people buy aluminum sheets from their local metal vendor at local metal vendor prices (fairly high usually) due to its size and trucking costs. It might be worth checking to see if there is a bigger aluminum vendor that does deliveries in your city or town. They might not be willing to stop a truck at your house, but if you have a farm/shop/store or friend with same. you might be able to have it delivered for less than some local vendors.

I found this in Coast Aluminum. They have a distribution center about 180 miles away from my shop, but they come through my town twice a month with their own truck. They charge $10 surcharge and $50 truck stop charge, but they deliver to my driveway and their price if I am buying more than a few pieces is A LOT cheaper than either of the local vendors I buy fill in stock from. I have a tractor with bucket forks so I can unload. I don't know if they would facilitate somebody who has to hand unload or not. I have told my friends who are small manufacturers or fabricators they can tack their orders on with mine and split the truck charge if they can wait until my next order.

Now I do buy little bit of aluminum flat bar for my business (sometimes enough they waive the truck charge) so I am sure that reflects in my pricing, but I could resell (if I wanted that headache) for less than either of my local vendors even after the delivery charge. They even beat most of my remote vendors and with them all charging regular truck freight if I can wait until the next regular truck it makes Coast a slam dunk. The big negative for me is I can't just price check and place an order online. I have to put together a list of stock, and do a quote request every time.

I'm not saying you should check Coast per say, but that for more than a couple pieces a vendor like them might be worth checking. (Not Alro, they don't get decent until you are ordering tons of material.) Maybe if you have a friend who owns or manages a fabrication or welding shop ask them if they have aluminum delivered from somebody like Coast or if they just buy it from a local vendor. If they have it delivered ask them if you can tack your order on with theirs. Of course you will have to wait until they are placing an order, so don't walk in and tell them you want it tomorrow if you are asking them to help you out.

Also, not all local vendors are the same. I just have two here and they don't feel any need to be competitive. In another market your local vendor might have decent prices. If you want to compare pricing an online resource you can use to check is Midwest Steel & Supply. They have on-line publicly available pricing and they are competitive. If your local vendor is only a little more expensive and you just need one sheet then your local vendor is probably pretty decently priced on that product. Just buy it from them.

DaleH
Donor

Post by DaleH »

RIVETS:
Jay-Cee Rivets online, buy a little or buy in bulk!
https://www.rivetsonline.com/?gclid=Cjw ... S4QAvD_BwE

Jay-Cee.jpg

EPOXY:
Basic 'water-proofing' epoxy for new wood transoms
www.raka.com or

Their $18 'starter' kit is a BEST BUY! Contains 12-ounces of standard marine epoxy Resin 127, with fast 610 and slow 606 hardeners, a small sample of silica, micro-bubbles 'filler' and a sample of standard 6-ounce fiberglass.
http://store.raka.com/epoxysamplekit.aspx
Raka.jpg

FLEXIBLE EPOXY:
For permanently sealing rivets, instead of using GluVit or other. This is a BEST BUY too, at $22 for their 2-part kit!
https://www.westsystem.com/specialty-ep ... ned-epoxy/
G-Flex.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.