How many Wisconsin/N. Illinois guys - 2011 UPDATE! (Post 47)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasilvers

Reaction score
In the spirit of the new electric/gas tournaments mentioned, who here is interested in getting a club together for a handful of meetings this summer? Depending on interest, we can have a mixed bag of tourneys depending on lake size - either electric only or anything goes - only requirement is fishing from tin OR a non-tin boat with 15 hp max (allows just about everyone in, even the big guys - if they use their kicker).

Tournaments can be one or two person's per boat, driver's choice.

I'm willing to give the organization a shot. I've put athletic teams together and run volleyball tourneys before. Not saying I'm good at it... :D

I'm in Milwaukee. Depending on where everyone else is, we can try to have meetings 'in the middle'.

Will

Sounds good to me!

I'd even be fine with a couple of meetings per year of the forum members in the area, even if it's not a tournament.

Let me know if you need any help putting it together!

Matt

wasilvers said:
only requirement is fishing from tin OR a non-tin boat with 15 hp max (allows just about everyone in, even the big guys - if they use their kicker).

I had some feedback on 'the rules' and am thinking that maybe a mph limit on the lake would allow more participation from all tinboats members. I wasn't trying to say you had to limit your tin rigs to 15hp - I actually run a 50 hp. I just wanted to make it competitive for everyone, from the guy running a crawdad to the guy who spent 60k on his 250hp bass rig.

Of course, if you bring a 90 mph bass boat, expect me to hit you up for a pass accross the lake afterwards!
:)

Hey I got the message about this group. As much as I'd love to, my weekends in the summer are dedicated to our bowfishing tournaments. Also I am not set up for any sort of bass tournaments (we don't need live wells bowfishing :wink: ). Hope it all goes well for you guys though :beer:

I'm interested, however financially this isnt going to be a good summer for travel. Already getting slack from teh wife about fishing my local holes.

Realistically for me, next summer would be better.

Hanr3 said:
...Already getting slack from teh wife about fishing my local holes.

:LOL2: - ME TOO! I'll probably call it a date and explain myself as I'm hooking up the boat once she gets in the car. :LOL2:

Congrats! We've had some good responses so far via messages. But based on the responses, most guys have their summer plans set and travel is hard on family life, but there is a number that are interested in one or two meetings this year. If you have any suggestions for locations, post them here or PM me. Probably be in August, so a good fishing spot that time of year would be preferred!

I already have the place picked out for the spring of 2011!

Will

yeah, I've been looking in IL if only because of cheaper license fees. I like to do things as cheaply as possible!

There is a 10hp limit on Shabonna, FYI.

Here is a good list of northern Illinois lakes:

https://www.larrysfishinghole.com/spots.html

Matt

I saw the 10 hp limit - which is ok for me. The lake is only 300ish acres, which is easily coverable with a troller. In the next few weeks I'll have to decide on one spot and make sure we have the blessing of the park rangers, someone to make sure the gate is open, etc. Personally I'd like something with camping or family things close by, then my fam can make a weekend out of it. If anyone is interested in staying overnight, let me know, maybe we can get a small group rate/use the group area facilities :)

Just note, I'm not trying to stretch this to a full weekend for anyone. But if I'm going to drive down 3-5 hours, might as well include the fam. Then just maybe I can get the wife to have some food afterwards if anyone wants it

Will

Shabbona has camping sites with or without electric/water, and they have facilities (showers/flush toilets) in some of the campgrounds.

As for entertainment, campground activities, or drive 20 minutes to Dekalb.

If your OK with something further South, Comlara park just north of Bloomington IL.
This is a County park, however its actually more like a state park. Has all the same features as a state park, camping, boat docks, boat renatls, swimming pool, great fishing from Crappie to Muskie, mountain bike trails, hiking trails, etc, etc, etc. It also has a 10hp limit, and it has a BOAT FEE to use the lake.
It's located close to the junction of Interstates 55, 74, and 39. Easy to get to from just about anywhere in the state.
https://www.mcleancountyil.gov/parks/

Hanr3 said:
Shabbona has camping sites with or without electric/water, and they have facilities (showers/flush toilets) in some of the campgrounds.

As for entertainment, campground activities, or drive 20 minutes to Dekalb.

If your OK with something further South, Comlara park just north of Bloomington IL.
This is a County park, however its actually more like a state park. Has all the same features as a state park, camping, boat docks, boat renatls, swimming pool, great fishing from Crappie to Muskie, mountain bike trails, hiking trails, etc, etc, etc. It also has a 10hp limit, and it has a BOAT FEE to use the lake.
It's located close to the junction of Interstates 55, 74, and 39. Easy to get to from just about anywhere in the state.
https://www.mcleancountyil.gov/parks/

South is closer for me :lol: :wink: :wink: :lol:

ARRRG, these 13-14 hour days are killing me! - Anyway, everytime I go to the IL DNR website it is down - (or I'm blocked from work). So I'll have to try from home.

With all these hp limited lakes, you think my 3.5 hp motor would move my 16foot aluminum boat? I could remove the big motor and put the little one on. :LOL2:

Will,

Now that I have a boat (!), I like the Shabonna Lake idea. I would come down and camp, too. I want to try out my new hammock!

Just let me know when.

Chris

Sad news - The IL DNR says ALL state parks are out - they will not allow us to host a 'tournament style' get together there.

Did some looking, does anyone know of a decent campground with ramps near the fox chain of lakes just north of IL? I looked, and saw a lot of RV parks, but I'd be tenting it - and am not willing to set us up to pay $100-120 a night for a cabin. I might be able to get a deal for $80 a cabin, but I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone :)

I'll call re- colmara today too, but that's a $16 daily use fee per day for boats, guess it's not too bad, like double our daily launch fees in WI... put in perspective, not terrible - but I'm cheap!

Will

There are local tournements on IDNR lakes all the time by me. I beliieve there may be some confusion about what your calling a tournament, and what they are calling a tournement. They dont have a problem with a couple of guys getting together for a day of fishing provided you follow the creel limits. They just dont want BASSPRO showing up unannounced.

I tried to explain it to the guy, but he said absolutly not allowed - not even for 5 boats like a friendly get together. Said we were a group and that wasn't allowed - oh well, we are signing up for a better place anyway... more to come when I hear a solid confirm, just know that is supposed to be VERY good fishing, available camping if you want it, and they are happy to have us!

Save the date - August 21st!!

:D