Netbook?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Who has one and what do you think? Will it run office ok? Youtube videos?

I am thinking about buying one for my wife. All she does is email and shop. :LOL2:

Plus I can use it! 8)

Jim said:

I am thinking about buying one for my wife. All she does is email and shop. :LOL2:

Plus I can use it! 8)
I don't believe a Netbook has the hardware to run Office, but you should be able to use Google Apps online for any Office task. The platforms are compatible, so you can create things in either application and can open and work with it in the other App as well.

I run OpenOffice on my wife's Dell netbook and it does pretty well. It can do most of what you can do on a desktop....just not as much speed or memory.

I have a Dell Mini 9 with 16gb SSD but I need to increase the Ram to 2gb as it only has 1gb right now. I think it would run office, if you maxed out the RAM and had enough drive space.

I bought my mother one as well since she was going to the hospital to be with my father and needed a light weight laptop so she could browse the web on their patient internet connection...

If you get a higher end one with good amount of ram and a decent hard drive you should be fine running office. Stay away from toshiba. Get a Dell or HP or even a sony.

I bought my son a Gateway netbook for his borthday. It's awesome. Does everything a regular PC does. Doesn't have a CD drive though. We have some MS office software on it.

Jim I picked one up for the wife and kids to use. its great for everything we use it for. It plays some games and I never had an issue on playing videos. I've done some work projects on it and its perfect surfing the web. It is a G file for wireless. Only thing that stunk was it won't play toontown for the kids :evil: the drive isn't supportive by toontown #-o

this is what i picked up last Xmas https://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5269493&CatId=3987

hope this helps

Just wondering what the advantage would be to installing something on a netbook if you can do the same things with an online app ?? The less you install/store on the system, the better it will run. Unless you need an Office-like program for important, offline work, I don't see the advantage.

Just my opinion, of course. :wink:

Jim said:

Plus I can use it! 8)

Just purchased a MSI Wind U100-018US for the inlaws. It has an Intel Atom N270 1.6 GHz process with 1 Gb ram. CPU benchmarks puts it around the speed of a Pentium 4 2.4GHz. It came with a 60 trial for MS Office which seems to run fine, installed OpenOffice instead. The video is an Intel GMA950, Youtube videos play fine in the standard web browser resolution. I didn't try it but I think full screen video processing would probably be choppy. For myself, I really love the HP Mini-311, it's a little pricey, but has an 11.6" screen, near full size keyboard, max 3Gb RAM, and NVIDIA ION video. I also like the MSI Wind12, Athlon Neo X2, 12.1" screen, max 4Gb RAM, ATI HD3200 video. The 10" netbooks are nice and compact, but the screens are too small for my taste.

Latest posts