Lights

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntinfool

Reaction score
I have a 16' aluminum that I am riggin for fishing and bowfishing. I want to rig some lights. I have a generator, but I know how loud they can be. I would have to buy some lights and probably rig another muffler to quiet it down a bit. Or I could rig up some 12v lights and I have 6 6v batteries that we wired for 12v and we have been turning over a diesel motor for several nights trying to pump oil to the top after a rebuild. After about 30 minutes straight they are still running strong. They would make a great set of batteries for bowfishing as they would last all night. (I know these batteries would last so just go along with this)

Realistically would I be better to rig the 12v lights and go fishing or try and rig a muffler for the generator and then try and come up with some sort of light for the generator? I can get some lights from Wal-mart that are the 500w halogen's that are probably $15 each.

Also has anyone ever run LED's underwater? Would this spook the fish? I could make the rig myself and wire the lights to the batteries and those would last a LONG time. But it would not be worth it if it would spook the fish. I know that people are doing this for flounder, but I have never heard anything else.

Any help would be appreciated.

I don't know about the setups man... can't help ya there

BUT - I don't think LEDs will throw out enough light. They are more like a surrounding area light - not to be used for "casting" light out in a distance.

But people use lights underwater to attract fish - green I know for sure because it attracts all the plankton, which attracts baitfish, which attracts big fish...

At this point LEDs are not quite there yet to produce the light output required. A guy in our club tried using some LED tube lights mounted above water and could not get enough penetration into the water to make them worth it. Not to mention the tubes are 150 a piece.

Underwater lights are in the same boat, so to speak. The amount of time and money it would take to make a system work isn't worth it yet. When LED technology advances, maybe. Also, Underwater lights are illegal in some states.

The generator noise doesn't really matter, and is honestly the best way to go. Last season we were using a 1970's homelite that you could hear clear across the river and it didn't scare the fish any more or less than the quieter one we have now. If you are fishing by houses its something to consider though. Where we fish it is mainly all plants and barge stations along the river, so noise didn't matter. If you have the Generator already, I would suggest going with the halogens. They are cheaper than the 12volt lights and put out way more light. And actually, for the price of a good set of 12 volt lights that are waterproof and shock proof, you could buy 150 watt High pressure sodium fixtures.

While 12 volt lights are an option, you have to consider the cost , both in dollars, and added weight, of batteries. 12volt setups do not produce the kind of light output a 120v AC system will. Consider you will probably already have 1 or 2 deep cycles for the trolling motor, and if you have an electric start outboard a cranking battery. I would not run lights off of the same batteries you will be using for the trolling motor.

In the picture, you can see that the front lights are 500w halogen work lights (walmart special). The back lights are 150w High Pressure Sodium (HPS) lights. For less than a third the wattage, and half the Amps, the 150w HPS lights put out roughly Three times the light as the Halogens. Needless to say I have 2 of these on order for the front. Also, a little fun fact, the Orange tinted light that the HPS bulbs put out cuts muddy water better and creates less glare than the white light the halogens throw.

Attachments

• SAM_0081.jpg
    SAM_0081.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 3,234
Shadowalker can you post close up pics of your lights?

The only reason I did not want to run the generator is how loud this particular generator is. Not for anyone else, but for us in the boat. I am going to look into changing out the muffler to see if I can make it more quiet. I have a friend that is an electrician and I think he can get me some lights cheap, but I just want to be sure what your talking about.

https://www.e-conolight.com/floods/small/small-hid/e-hc1h151z.html

There is a link to the exact light fixtures I have. I can get pics tonight since I think we are hitting the water later.

Your best option (quietest) for a muffler would probably be a muffle from a small ATV or dirt bike. Look around because a lot of people will sell off their stock exhausts very cheap when they upgrade. I've seen them on some forums for as little as 10 or 15 dollars. Just make sure the pipe diameter is bigger than stock so you dont create too much back pressure.

I have a muffler off a Hustler 6x6 that I was gonna try and use. It looks like it would be the correct diameter.

I like those lights, but they do look a bit big. Do they get hot? I think that might be my best option.

Believe it or not, those HPS lights actually run cooler than halogens. The halogens get extremely hot all round (front glass AND housing) and you have to let them cool off before you can unmount them or adjust them. The HPS lights only get warm to the touch on the housing. You can actually adjust them with the lights running and not burn yourself. I always worry about the halogens melting the line on our retriever set ups, although it has never happened before.

Size wise they are not really much bigger. Maybe a tad deeper from front to back. I will get you a side by side comparison picture of them.

I would highly suggest going with the HPS lights. If you don't stick with the whole bowfishing thing you could sell them easily on a couple bowfishing sites and make probably 75% of the money back. And if you do the math, that would be like you bought halogens in the first place. 8)

Thanks for the replies. I am going to go look at those lights today at the Home Depot.

I have family in Ill. My sister used to live in Joliet. I have an aunt in Naperville and My mother lives in Coal City. I was born in Morris. I can't remember where my sister moved to but she is still there in Ill. Got an uncle there somewhere...maybe still in Morris.

Where you bowfish?
Do you do any hunting there?

I'm actually in Minooka, but not too many people know where thats at.

I haven't hunted yet but might give it a try this year.

We are usually out on the Des Plaines, Kankakee, or Illinois. And I would have to say that the Illinois River is THE place to bowfish in the country right now.

We do tournaments on both. I live right by the three rivers though (5 minute drive) so thats where we go if we are just going out for fun.

I know right where Minoonka is. I have fished the Kankakee and the Illinois rivers. The Ill. runs just south of Morris. That was several years ago. Why is the Illinois river the place to be? Because of the jumping carp? I may have to try and make a trip up there.

We have about the best variety of fish up here. The Des Plaines and K3 have been producing big fish across the board this year.

And yes, the Illinois is one of the few places in the country with the silvers, let alone the number we have. If you plan on coming up let me know. I'll take you out to stick a few.

I would recommend the generator option if you can.

I mainly flounder gig and have used batteries and generators for years. Batteries are quiet I just hate running out juice after a couple of hours of use. The generator is noisy (unless you go with a honda) and then you don't have to worry about power loss.

Honda's have come down in price substantially. Some nice deals on craigslist.

I run EU1000. I have 3 halogen lights from wally world one is rigged with 500watt bulb for the bow of the boat, my two others on the sides I run 150 watt bulbs. I have been using my current setup for four years. I hard mounted the lights to a small board and then use grip clamps to mount to the boat for portablility.

Clint, That is what I am thinking about doing. I don't want the lights permenant. I want to be able to take them off. My father has a Winnebago that he is rebuilding. We took out the generator on it and I took off the muffler on it. So now I have two different mufflers that I can try and see if I can make it quieter. Just need to find some time now.

tip for removable lights, i have a 18' jon and i welded c clamps onto a piece of 1" square tubbing and mounted four lights onto it for the front. on the sides and back i welded the lights directly onto the c clamp

countryboy120406 said:
tip for removable lights, i have a 18' jon and i welded c clamps onto a piece of 1" square tubbing and mounted four lights onto it for the front. on the sides and back i welded the lights directly onto the c clamp

can you post any pictures of how you did this?

Latest posts