Tilapia

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TampaJim

Reaction score
I am new here, but I wanted to at least contribute something ... instead of just reading and borrowing rigging ideas for my new jon boat.

I like to bowfish in the late winter and early spring when the grasses aren't so thick AND the weather is cooler during the midday.

I shot these fish in the spring at a small lake on some property that I lease. Fresh Florida tilapia - no limits, no seasons ... they are an invasive species and reproduce like crazy. The biggest I have shot is about 5#, but they can grow to 10#.

bow.jpg

tilapia.jpg

Captain Ahab said:
Do you eat those? If so, i like idea better then just killing carp for the sake of shooting something

Indeed... I know everyone appreciates anything that thins out the Carp populations, and I also acknowledge that it's a hell of a lot of fun to bowfish for carp, but I always felt a little weird about harvesting so many fish and not eating them. They make great fertilizer, but it would be cool of there were fish around here you could bowfish for that are actually good to eat.

Also, those look like they would be TOUGH to hit! Well done!

It's great that you're shooting something you can actually eat. I've tried the carp and gar but they wound up tasting like something even Bear Grylls would reject. Tilapia are found on many restaurant menus now and they're really good to eat. Like you said, however, they're an invasive species so shooting them is just fine. The fact that they taste really good makes it that much better.

We tried our hand at a gar a few weeks ago and it wasn't bad at all.

Kind of dense meat but the flavor was really mild.

We already have plans of making mock lobster out of one in the near future.

Captain Ahab said:
Do you eat those? If so, i like idea better then just killing carp for the sake of shooting something

YES, they are always consumed AND always tasty. As noted, they are on restaurant menus all over and sold at most grocery stores in the seafood section.

They have a light, sweet flavor and are somewhat firm - they hold together well when cooked. Best of all, they are VERY low in mercury - since they feed 98% on plant matter. In addition, they are low in fat ... a very healthy filet of fish. They remind me of snapper in their "universal" nature in respect to cooking.

Unfortunately for most US residents, they aren't a possibility. They are a tropical fish and can't survive water temperatures below 50 degrees. We have them here in Florida - from the Central part of the state down.

As far as the archery hand goes ... they make for GREAT practice. The dang things are lightning fast and can turn in a millisecond. They definitely require a steady hand and a well-adjusted sight.

TJ -

Latest posts