Microsoft Support info

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Found this info on another site and thought I'd post it here.

"B U L L E T I N
Users of the older Windows 2000 and of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 version are about to lose Microsoft's patch support; from 13 July 2010, these two older systems will not be updated when vulnerabilities are discovered which could compromise the security of a machine.

Microsoft is warning customers that "Unsupported products or service packs pose a significant risk to your computer's security. Therefore, Microsoft advises customers to migrate to the latest supported service pack and/or product prior to the end of support."

Most users of Windows XP should now be working with Service Pack 3 which continues to be supported. You can check which version you have by using the [Start] menu and typing ' Winver ' in the pop-up box and pressing [OK].
If the information panel shows 'Version 5.1 .... Service Pack 3' your system will continue to receive updates until April 8, 2014.

A recent poll of users showed that roughly 37 percent of Windows users are still using XP. A little over 31 percent of respondents currently use XP
SP3 and approximately 5 percent are still using an earlier version of XP.

The Gartner Research group has advised companies to migrate from Windows XP entirely by 2012."

So Vista was crap and not as many people switched over(thus, they didn't make as much $$$)....so now their gonna force them to update to Windows 7. :roll:

I use XP Pro SP3 on my one PC and Window 7 64bit on my new PC and I love both. I never had the pleasure of using Vista.

Popeye said:
Does SP 3 help my 1989 version of Windows 3.11?

I have no idea if it will or not, Andy. I just thought I'd post the info in case anyone was interested :) . I don't know crap about that stuff, lol.
Bubba said:
So Vista was crap and not as many people switched over(thus, they didn't make as much $$$)....so now their gonna force them to update to Windows 7. :roll:

My wife and I have had Vista on our machines for awhile now, and no problems yet 8-[ . We had XP prior to that on the old computer which bit the dust, and Vista came with the new machines.

Waterwings said:
Bubba said:

My wife and I have had Vista on our machines for awhile now, and no problems yet 8-[ . We had XP prior to that on the old computer which bit the dust, and Vista came with the new machines.

Yeah, My laptop came with Vista(64 bit version....which i've heard is supposed to be abit better as far as problems) and I haven't really had any "problems" out of it, however my last computer ran on XP which I did prefer over Vista.

Waterwings said:
Popeye said:
Does SP 3 help my 1989 version of Windows 3.11?

I have no idea if it will or not, Andy. I just thought I'd post the info in case anyone was interested :) . I don't know crap about that stuff, lol.]

I was just playin'. I have XP and am pretty sure I've got the SP3

Waterwings said:
Found this info on another site and thought I'd post it here.

"B U L L E T I N
Users of the older Windows 2000 and of the Windows XP Service Pack 2 version are about to lose Microsoft's patch support; from 13 July 2010, these two older systems will not be updated when vulnerabilities are discovered which could compromise the security of a machine.

Microsoft is warning customers that "Unsupported products or service packs pose a significant risk to your computer's security. Therefore, Microsoft advises customers to migrate to the latest supported service pack and/or product prior to the end of support."

Most users of Windows XP should now be working with Service Pack 3 which continues to be supported. You can check which version you have by using the [Start] menu and typing ' Winver ' in the pop-up box and pressing [OK].
If the information panel shows 'Version 5.1 .... Service Pack 3' your system will continue to receive updates until April 8, 2014.

A recent poll of users showed that roughly 37 percent of Windows users are still using XP. A little over 31 percent of respondents currently use XP
SP3 and approximately 5 percent are still using an earlier version of XP.

The Gartner Research group has advised companies to migrate from Windows XP entirely by 2012."
As an addendum to this information, I am subscribed to the Windows Secrets Newsletter and one of the more respected tech writers posted this article recently about how to setup your XP box for the long haul. Worth a read if you don't want to upgrade your OS just yet.

DocWatson said:
As an addendum to this information, I am subscribed to the Windows Secrets Newsletter and one of the more respected tech writers posted this article recently about how to setup your XP box for the long haul. Worth a read if you don't want to upgrade your OS just yet.

Thanks Doc - that was a great read!

This info couldn't have come at a better time for me. Just had to do a system restore, since the latest CA Suite upgrade crashed my computer. After the restore it came back up with IE6, got that all up to IE8 now, checked the winver thing and had pack 2, so got that up to 3 last night. Now I gotta read Doc Watson's article. Gotta say, though, it's running a lot faster and smoother already. Now just gotta find a new security system. Anybody got any ideas?