Videos, how to?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ranchero50

Reaction score
Got me a JVC HD camcorder this week, wondering what's out there good and cheap or free for editing the HD files (MTS or whatever they are). I am a complete newby to this so any help is appreciated.

The goal is to get some videos up on youtube that look decent, fades and cuts, maybe an audio track over them.

Links to sites or forums to read would be great as well.

Thanks,
Jamie

It's not cheap or free, but I use Roxio 2010. It is a good all around package.

KRS

I'm running Xp on everything. looks like the HD stuff will be H264 MPEG4 video. I'm learning as fast as I can. I may just upload some raw video to youtube to see how it works. Figure a quick walk around and some running and playing from POV and the shore.

Should be interesting.

Jamie

Movie make should work, you can perform most basic editing, put on youtube, CD, or even load them back onto your camera for viewing on you TV. You will not be able to burn them on DVD's with out some additional software. If you have any more in depth questions please PM me, I don't charge for advise :LOL2:

Thanks Nev, tried to upload a HD 4 minute video last night, 480 meg took 6 hours to upload and failed. I did play with some short clips this morning. I have some editing software that came with the camcorder I've been playing with.

Same video, 79 meg upload in different quality levels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PPCwz8XUPQ

I'm trying HD now, 80 minutes to upload this little clip via DSL...

Jamie

Some time those little camcorders can be finicky. You should be able to turn off the HD setting and shoot it in standard definition. By doing this you may find that it will be easier to deal with. The quality of the video actually won't change much. HD shoots at about 60 frames per second, and standard shoots at about 30. How ever when you export it most consumer cameras will compress the files to a point that there is not much difference between the two. Since it compresses them at the same ratio you end up with the same basic quality. But in the HD format you have twice as much data due to the 60 FPS therefore it will double the time it takes to upload. Just something to think about.

One thing I did before commiting on this one was checking the youtube videos and reviews of the camcorder. Many of the comments said that if you upload it straight from the camera vs. using the software that the quality was much higher. I recorded in 1080 yesterday but realised this morning that the antishake was turned off. I uploaded that clip via the software in standard def and high quality to see if there was a noticable difference and there was. I want to unload direct to see if it's better still. Many of the youtube videos from the camera were really high quality even at standard def. viewing. That's why I'm tinkering with it. We have a T1 connection at work and I may be able to upload via that extremely fast. Dad has cable as well.

I gave up on the direct of that little clip and just posted up a high quality (via the software) video of playing with the boat.

Hope it turns out well.
Jamie

Yeah, I should have mentioned that. It is always to get straight off the camera in the "rawest" form possible before the additional compression. Unless you spend some money on editing software you will probably have the "compression" issue in most free and lower end editing systems.

Something else you look into is instead of downloading it onto your computer when you want to edit it, see if you can export directly from the camera to and external hard drive, (the higher RPM the better). If you can do it it will help you when editing off the external as it wont bog down you computer hard drive that your editing software is on.

Took about three hours to get this one uploaded, some running video taken by the kid (first time)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWlR_tUdKBU

Raw from the camera, 1080p

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15CV-S5CCtk

There's another one that's processing, 1.5g took 45 minute to upload via a T1 connection :) the walkthru took nine minutes.

Jamie

Latest posts