Arrrgh, computer crashed

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waterwings

Reaction score
Got home today and my computer crashed hard. Worked great last night. Called tech support and nothing worked, not even the recovery disc. They're sending me a box to ship it out for a repair. Thank goodness I bought the 3 yr warranty service plan :) . I'm on my wife's laptop, and I sure miss my 22" HP Touchsmart.

Thanks, Jim. The tech guy told me 10-15 days, hopefully. I'm out of my comfort zone sitting at the kitchen table using the laptop, instead of in the comfort of my man-cave room upstairs, lol. Gonna have to re-load a bunch of stuff I had in my favorites folder as a one-click convenience, plus my Norton, Zune, and Garmin accounts. :shock:

Bummer! I used to scoff at the extended warranty plans, but once I started working on computers for a living, I changed my tune in a hurry: in the long run it will likely save you a lot of hassle... and money.

Waterwings said:
Thanks, Jim. The tech guy told me 10-15 days, hopefully. I'm out of my comfort zone sitting at the kitchen table using the laptop, instead of in the comfort of my man-cave room upstairs, lol. Gonna have to re-load a bunch of stuff I had in my favorites folder as a one-click convenience, plus my Norton, Zune, and Garmin accounts. :shock:
Get yourself a copy of Acronis TrueImage backup software. It has saved my butt on more than one occasion, and for $50, it's cheap insurance for your settings and data.

All my financial data, tax records, correspondence, email, website data & BU, Favorites, family tree info, etc is on my computer, not to mention the utilities installed over the years and the configuration that would be a GIANT PITA to recreate. I keep an incremental backup, run weekly, on a second HD slaved inside my case to protect it and make it easier to restore the image myself. I also keep a monthly backup image on a DVD & a 500 GB Flash HD stored in my safe.

Well, I shipped the computer out last Wednesday, and the repair place in Ft. Worth rec'd it Friday morning. Hopefuly they're working on it as we speak and it doesn't take much to get it back in shape and returned to me [-o< . Using my wife's laptop is making me crazy.

\:D/ Made a phone call today and found out my computer will be delievered back to me sometime around 4:30pm tomorrow! The tech guy on the phone told me it was the hard drive that crashed, and he also gave me the tracking number for the computer. The part was ord'd on Monday, installed, and the computer was shipped yesterday using FedEx 2-day Express. Now all I'll have to do is reload everything.

Computer arrived early around 12 noon today! Got the box in the house, took it upstairs to the "cave", opened it, removed all of the bubble wrap, and...........................they didn't send my friggin' power cord back! :x . Immediately called the repair place in Texas and explained the problem. I even gave them the name of the tech guy who signed the work order. They said they would look for it and get it in the mail, if they find it. I told them that I filled-out the inventory form (their form!) of what I had sent them, and was expecting to find everything I sent them in the return shipment. So, ended that call and then called the store (Staples) in town where I bought the computer, and initiated the original repair request. They didn't have a cord available, and provided me a number to call.......................the repair facility I had just talked to previously. I'm not a happy camper at the moment. Oh, the repair work entailed replacing the 500gb hard drive with a new one. The job order listed 1 hour for completion.

Yeah that's definitely an easy job. The fact that staples didnt have a power cord is a joke. Let me look around I may have a spare I can send you in the event this happens again.

Thanks for offers guys, but my cord and ac adapter arrived today in the mail! They sent me a brand new one :) . Been installing programs since I got home today around 3:45. Just about done, but still some to go.

Latest posts