Looking for some website shopping cart help please..

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BYOB Fishing

Reaction score
Hey all,

The custom form on www.buildyourownbaits.com uses flash to set up the custom colors, and is then supposed to send an order to PayPal with the info. I have several problems:

1. I'm not getting addresses from ANYONE who orders a lure with the custom tab.
2. I'm not charging for tax or shipping, even though the shipping and tax preferences have been set up.
3. Users can't order more than one at a time.
4. About 1/2 the time, the custom info doesn't transfer to the PayPal form, and I again have to beg the customer for what the lure looked like, along with their address.

I was wondering if adding a shopping cart would help these problems. I have no idea how to set one up, how much it would cost, or what type of software it requires. I also have no way of editing the flash files to stop sending the info to PayPal and start using a shopping cart.

Can anyone help? Let me know if you need more information, I'm not sure if what I've provided is helpful or not.

Thanks,

Matt

I can't help much with the technical side of this, but my first suggestion would be to get away fro Flash. It's really impressive when it works right, but just too hard to work with if you are inexperienced. Another "issue" I noticed when I visited just now and went through the order process was that you don't seem to be able to go back once you have made a color, pattern, etc. choice and change that once you have gone on to the next option.

One thing you might want to consider is shutting the site down for "maintenance" and not put it back up until it works "right". You online rep suffers when your site doesn't work as advertised. Online shopping is supposed to be easy. If you have to call the customer to get their info after they place an order online, it kinda defeats the purpose, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

DocWatson said:
I can't help much with the technical side of this, but my first suggestion would be to get away fro Flash. It's really impressive when it works right, but just too hard to work with if you are inexperienced. Another "issue" I noticed when I visited just now and went through the order process was that you don't seem to be able to go back once you have made a color, pattern, etc. choice and change that once you have gone on to the next option.

One thing you might want to consider is shutting the site down for "maintenance" and not put it back up until it works "right". You online rep suffers when your site doesn't work as advertised. Online shopping is supposed to be easy. If you have to call the customer to get their info after they place an order online, it kinda defeats the purpose, if you know what I mean.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.
I agree that you should shut down the ordering part of the site until fixed.. a bad shopping experince will spread like wild fire.
who is your web host have you contacted them for support?
I use probass networks for my site and they are there 100% of the time for support most issues are fixed before i hang up the phone

My web host is GoDaddy. I haven't contacted them because I feel the issue is all on my end, and how the items are set up. I don't know how to use the software programs the flash portion of the site was built on.

Anyone know flash? hahahahaha

I'll probably end up shutting down that portion, maybe for good if I can't get it to work soon. I can't continue like this...

I know a little bit of flash, but only a bit of animation. I don't think I'd be able to help you with a website.

I also don't know a lot about online ordering systems, but you could look into Google checkout.

Latest posts