Hatch lining material.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Here is the dilemma. I will be starting the construction of the decking in my 1542 in the next couple of weeks. Now, I have most everything thought out, but am not quite sure what I want to do for the inside of my hatches. More than likely, I will use the 1/16 honeycomb aluminum, I don't want the bare aluminum showing. It has a nice glean right now, but that will get scratched up, and will dull with time, and I don't like that. So, I am left with a few options.

Carpet. If I did this, I wouldn't have to pay as much attention to details. Therefore, if I have a vertical piece of aluminum angle, one of my structural pieces, on the inside of the hatch, the carpet would cover it up, so you wouldn't be able to see it. Also, if my rivets aren't on even centers, it wouldn't bother me every time I opened the hatch. But, I would have to really fight to get it done real neat, as all the corners would be inside corners, and not outside ones, as on the hatch lids. And, it would hold grime and mildew, being that it would be inside a closed hatch.

A good paint. If I did this, I would pay as much attention as possible to detail. There would be no structure on the inside of the hatch (no angle in the corner - my 1/16 aluminum would be inside the angle, not outside). Also, it wouldn't mildew, and I would be more likely to hose it out, than I would carpet. But then, nothing is cushioned, so it could be somewhat noisy and such.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the means in which to mold plastic liners like a lot of the boat companies use, and I don't have the funding to get custom ones made.

What other options should I consider, and why?

Thanks.

I think you should measure the opening and see if you can find a plastic tote that would drop in. If it doesn't fit exactly you can rough it in and clean up the trim to make it look nice. If you carpet it it will get wet and hold water right?

Nickk said:
I think you should measure the opening and see if you can find a plastic tote that would drop in. If it doesn't fit exactly you can rough it in and clean up the trim to make it look nice. If you carpet it it will get wet and hold water right?

Good point!

Nickk said:

That's a good suggestion...

For the lids, G3 covers the inside with a foam rubber... kinda like a thin yoga or sleeping bag mat you can buy at Wal-Mart. This helps deaden the sound and vibration of the metal. It's pretty easy to do. Buy a couple of roles, flatten it out and then cut it to fit. Once you have it cut, you can use epoxy to help it bond to the metal. Make sure your metal is warm before you start.

Nickk said:
That is a good idea, and I have looked into it a bit, but the sizes and shapes I need just aren't out there. I am fairly sure I want to stick with the 1/16 honeycomb aluminum, with some sort of covering over it.

As for the stuff under the lids, I hadn't thought of that, but will look into it. Can't see a reason why I wouldn't want to put it in.

Just to clarify what you are asking. You are trying to line your storage hatches with something so that it is not just the boat floor, deck supports, and whatever else underneath, right?

If so, I would say go with Nick's suggestion I think it would look very clean and professional, and also be very functional. If you cannot find the right sizes, you could make boxes out of aluminum. You could also paint them with rhino lining or something similar so its not bare aluminum.

jkbirocz said:
Just to clarify what you are asking. You are trying to line your storage hatches with something so that it is not just the boat floor, deck supports, and whatever else underneath, right?

If so, I would say go with Nick's suggestion I think it would look very clean and professional, and also be very functional. If you cannot find the right sizes, you could make boxes out of aluminum. You could also paint them with rhino lining or something similar so its not bare aluminum.
I may not have phrased it correctly originally. I will be making the boxes out of 1/16 aluminum honeycomb. But, what I am undecided on, is what to cover the aluminum with. Paint, carpet, rhino line etc.

Sorry for any confusion.

Get those yoga mats from walmart and use it instead of the carpet. You can get it in pink :p or silver.

bassboy1 said:
I may not have phrased it correctly originally. I will be making the boxes out of 1/16 aluminum honeycomb. But, what I am undecided on, is what to cover the aluminum with. Paint, carpet, rhino line etc.

Sorry for any confusion.

DOH! sorry to contribute to the confusion :lol: