Computer Virus

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KMixson

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I made a stupid mistake today. I have g-mail and have my AOL mail imported to g-mail. Early this morning i received notice that g-mail refused to import a mail from AOL that was from United Parcel Service due to being suspicious. I logged onto my AOL account and looked in my mailbox. There was a mail supposedly from UPS stating that a package had been sent out for delivery and that it was being returned to the UPS facility to be held until I pick it up. It had a link to click on to check the status of the package and since I had not ordered anything that I could remember I clicked on the link to see what it was. My virus checker popped up and stated that this was a suspicious mail and warned me not to open it. Did I listen? No. I told it to allow the link and when it opened there was a warning that my computer was under attack. A pop up box from "Win 7 Security 2011" started listing all of the supposedly viruses infecting my computer. It stopped my computer from accessing the internet and wanted me to purchase the program from Win 7 Security 2011 to rid my computer of the viruses. The first thing I did was run my anti virus to check my computer. It found no viruses. The program deleted files necessary access the internet so there was no virus detected. I then did a restore to a previous date before the attack and deleted all of the files downloaded after that date and to bring my computer back up to a period where it worked as it should. That worked. I had a restore point from last Friday so I did not loose a lot of data. All is well now. I would be the first to warn anyone of opening any suspicious e-mails and to delete them. I don't know what I was thinking. I should be punished.

I've rec'd similar emails saying a package was on hold, etc, etc. I delete them w/o opening them, and pretty now much have anything that comes through that is not on my list of contacts go directly to the junk mail folder. If I do get one that I don't recognize, I go ahead and delete it. I also do a Quick Scan before I shut my computer off every night. Lots of tracking cookies showup each time, and my installed program automatically deletes them.

Latest posts