Balsa Baits

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dampeoples

Reaction score
This is a learning experience for me, not quite as easy as sand, tape and paint! But I got two ready to go, and took them out today. Second cast, from the bank netted me a fish, then it was a great day between these cranks and a junebug stick I poured the rest of the day. My 5 year old son even caught his first 3 pounder today on one! Got anothr set partially done, with eye sockets and such, should look a little nicer, and now that I know a bit more about how they work, should be a little easier to make :)

IMG_0599.JPG

Those look great. I try and make balsa baits and I always have trouble getting them to run true. It is really hard. But the first time you land a nice fish on one of the baits you made by hand it is all worth the hassle and frustration.

Bryce, that's what you were referring to the other day, you think it's a weight, or lip slot issue, or possibly something else?

Jimmy - maybe soon :) Can't put junk for sale, only get one chance to make a first impression :)

I can never get the holes for the hook eyes to line up on the center of the bait so when I put the weight in the belly with the eye it always leans to the left or right. Before I put the weight in it runs true.

I use a caliper to do that, measure the width of the bait with the claws, then divide it, set the caliper to that, and use the depth gauge to get the center :)

Janns has a nice popper that CLU uses for there old glory. I would like some painted a color with an orange belly. Shall we talk off line.
Im really looking for a Tinboats.net exclusive color....meaning you will never paint this color unless they are a tinboat member.