New Ice fishing forum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a few requests to create a new forum for Ice fishing, so here it is. We will give it a trial run for a season. If it takes off and is used, we will keep it. If not we will merge it into another section.

Jim

How could you say that it's boring?!

Can't wait for hardwater! :D Went out and picked up another rod/Schooly reel, a cantilever spring bobber, and some new Seaguar Abrazx Ice. Never used Seaguar before, but had so/so experiences with other fluoro's.

Once deer season's out of the way, I can start work on my run-n-gun rig!

Bring on the ICE!

C

Chasing tip-ups with a good size group is a blast.. not boring.

Sitting in your house waiting for spring = boring..

We have been attaching jingle bells to the flags so when they go we have a slight audio alert.. you get 6 guys, 12 tip-ups,barley pops and a nice day = a riot!!

During the winter months I do lots of ice fishing. I fish through the ice in my gin and tonic while I'm toasting my feet in front of the fireplace. :LOL2:

Canoeman said:

We have been attaching jingle bells to the flags so when they go we have a slight audio alert.. you get 6 guys, 12 tip-ups,barley pops and a nice day = a riot!!

Oh I fish all winter - Stripers, Sea Bass, tog then Cod, Poloack, Mackerel and then Stripers again!

In between i hit the trout streams (they do not freeze here) and maybe teh river on a warm (er) day for catfish

If I can find anything unfrozen I have crappie and LMB - if not see above

The last thing I will do is stand on top of a hole in the water to wait for fish that I cannot fight and do not eat

So I am sticking with BORING!

Captain Ahab said:
Canoeman said:

Oh I fish all winter - Stripers, Sea Bass, tog then Cod, Poloack, Mackerel and then Stripers again!

In between i hit the trout streams (they do not freeze here) and maybe teh river on a warm (er) day for catfish

If I can find anything unfrozen I have crappie and LMB - if not see above

The last thing I will do is stand on top of a hole in the water to wait for fish that I cannot fight and do not eat

So I am sticking with BORING!

hahahaa nice!!

i make the best of a freezing situation.

Miss doesn't freeze solid in spots up here, ill have some open water opportunities..

Sorry, no pictures because my camara is on the fritz. Been out the last 5 days enjoying the warm spell on the ice. Got my limit (25) of perch each day. Kept nothing under 9" and had quite a few in the 12" to 14" range. Met some friends at the landing on Tuesday and we all got our limit. Still walking out on 6" of ice. Some are taking thier 4 wheelers out also. I can understand how some folks find this boreing. I, on the other hand find this to be about the most fun you can have in the winter. Tight lines to all and be safe out there.

HANGEYE

Hopefully this snow storm brings ice too.

Supossed to take my locla Boy Scout Troop Ice Fishing next weekend.

Went out yesterday with my son. Still in the 5 1/2" to 6" range of ice. We managed to take home 17 perch each. Got a good cold snap coming for the next few days. If it stays cold enough we might be able to get out to the middle of the lake for some walleye action. Need a good foot of ice so we can drive out because I'm not going to walk the 3 miles out and 3 miles back draging the sled.

Well I finally broke down. Last couple of times out on the ice, I froze my hands and other parts as well. Found a Clam 5600, BRAND NEW for $100.00 so I bought it. Now I can go out tomorrow (with the heater) and not suffer. Should make the wife happy, my fishing trips just went from a few hours to ALL DAY. Anybody care to join me?

HANGEYE said:
Well I finally broke down. Last couple of times out on the ice, I froze my hands and other parts as well. Found a Clam 5600, BRAND NEW for $100.00 so I bought it. Now I can go out tomorrow (with the heater) and not suffer. Should make the wife happy, my fishing trips just went from a few hours to ALL DAY. Anybody care to join me?

Hell yea, but the drive is a deal breaker.

Nice score!

The last couple of weeks the fishing has been very good. Went out Monday and things were pretty slow. Yesterday was even slower. Today, not even a bite. I think the fish have moved out further into the main lake but not enough ice to get out there. :( We need a good long cold spell or I am going to have to head north.

Well the way this lack of winter has gone, it's going to be an early ice-out here in the Northland. I might make it out a few more times before then though.

We usually have about 3' or more of ice at this time we only have around 12" now. Should be early ice out here also.
Have been having great season though.
Caught and released some hard water smallies other day :D :
Photo298A.jpg