Dell XPS 8300

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillhunter

Staff member
Reaction score
The wife and I need to replace our current computer and were thinking about a Dell XPS 8300 with some software and hardware upgrades. We are not gamers, just use it for e-mail, photos (lots of photos) on line banking, etc. Anyone have any experience with this computer?

I do not have experience with that specific model.. but for what your doing it may seem to be a bit overkill. If your not doing any processor or graphic intense work with it, like gaming or editing videos etc.. you really don't need that much power.. Not saying it isn't a good system or good to have. but you could be just fine with a middle of the road tower.

For the same price as the XPS (or less) you could go with the Inspiron 620 and have more than enough storage/memory and a large LCD monitor to boot...

As for the MS office suite.. don't add it and use open office, same with the antivirus.. dont get one preinstalled thats going to ask you for money every year.. use AVG Free, it works great and it fairly intuitive and noninvasive..

Above is all my opinion.. take it as so :)

I have a Dell XPS 8300 or an 8400, Right now I'm at School, so once I get home I'll check what my type it is, I searched the 8300 up and its exactly like mine.

Basically, I love mine, and if you aren't going to game and download things that aren't needed on your computer, then it will run like a beast.

You'd have 8 gigs of Ram, and I5 and a nice Nvidia graphics card, unsure of the model. And it comes with Windows 7.

When I get home I'll edit this and add more.

Actually what I ended up getting was a:
HP Pavilion Slimline s5z
• Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium [64-bit]
• AMD Phenom(TM) X4 840 quad-core processor [2.9GHz, 2MB L2 + 6MB L3 shared, up to 4000MHz]
• 8GB DDR3-1333MHz SDRAM [2 DIMMs]
• 1TB 7200 rpm SATA 3Gb/s hard drive
• Office Home and Business 2010 + Adobe Acrobat X Standard
• 1GB DDR3 NVIDIA GeForce GT520 [DVI, HDMI, VGA adapter]
• SuperMulti DVD Burner and Corel WinZip 15 + Win Zip Courier
• Wireless-N LAN card
• 2 USB, front audio ports
• HP 2211 x 21.5 LED Moniter
• Integrated sound
• HP wireless keyboard and wireless optical mouse

We have had it for a couple of weeks now and it's pretty quick.

Latest posts