GPS tips/tricks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
After quite a bit of research, I ordered the Delorme PN60 today. I'll be using it for hunting public ground and marking fishing spots.

I'm going to consider Navionics etc. once I get a feel for the screen size. If it seems like it'll be too small to be worth dropping 100 bucks, it'll make the decision easier.

Being my first dedicated hunting/fishing gps, I wanted to see what maps you guys have, how you integrate way points with your computer/google earth/whatever. It seems there are a lot of options for these things, and I'm ignorant to most of them.

Any tips and tricks would be appreciated.

I have 3 different handhelds that I use for hunting. I use UTM, NAD27 on all of them. all topos have this on them, plus lat. and lon. I find this easy to use, as it uses the N & E 1000m grid . walked in and out of more than one created landpoint, while hunting in maine. seems very few people use this, but I just seem to prefer it over lat. and lon.
just my opinion! works for me.

RiverBottomOutdoors said:
I use my Andriod and google maps and Backpack Country Navigator Pro for hunting.

Yeah that was plan A, but I'm broke as f :lol: ck

I had to split the GPS with my uncle to even justify buying it.

Here's a solid tip: DON'T BUY YOUR GPS FROM AMAZON!

Within 5 minutes of powering up my new unit, I could tell it was faulty. After a total for 45 minutes on hold, I finally got a hold of a CS rep with DeLorme. Apparently Amazon and other sites have huge inventories of outdated units with old firmware.

After a massive download to my computer, and then even more time putting it on my GPS, the new firmware was installed. And it didn't help. The unit still reboots at random, and the screen glitches like crazy on the start up.

After some research it seems this is a common problem with amazon-bought units. So now I have to ship my brand new unit to DeLorme for "repair." I've read on their forums that people with the same problem have gotten them back from the company saying "they couldn't find anything wrong."

So help me god if this thing doesn't work when I get it back. I've spent an hour and a half on hold between 3 calls. I can't deal with these idiots anymore. Just give me the working unit I dropped 250 bucks on :evil:

muskiemike12 said:
Who even makes the DeLorme GPS? You could have spent the same ammount of money and got a Garmin.

What do you mean "who makes them"? DeLorme makes them, lol. They're a pretty reputable company, with many technologies that far exceed Garmin at the same price point. The Delorme comes with A LOT more maps: topo, aerial, and other wise, that made it a pretty obvious choice. They don't seem as user friendly, but they seem a lot better suited for my needs. Garmins are a little too entry-level for me. If I'm dropping 200 or 300 bucks on a GPS, I want something that wasn't just built for geocaching.

My dad has a garmin and it never picks up a signal in the woods, so I was going to avoid their stuff either way. This DeLorme picked up a 3D signal in my house, and was pretty **** accurate. You could see a perfect trail from walking across the house and upstairs. I was really impressed.

If only mine worked consistently :roll:

On the bright side, DeLorme offered to pay for the shipping, to and from the company, and fix it for free. It takes a while to get through to their CS, but I think they're understaffed. I talked to the same lady every time I called, so take from that what you will.

Latest posts