Anybody write and Publish an e-book?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its funny you posted this .... me and a few coworkers think writing and publishing an e-book is a superb way to maybe make some decent money.

It costs next to nothing to write and publish .... you can even self-publish. There are software packages out there designed for writing e-books.

The trick is the marketing. How do you get people to buy it?

I even started writing one, but kind of lost interest and gave up.

I've written about 18 chapters about various aspects of life in the estuary, everything from duck hunting, to commercial crabbing, and commercial shellfishing. Thought about getting it published, and approached a publisher last year, but they weren't interested.

But, one of the chapters in my book discusses shellfish, and what it takes to bring them to the table in the restaurant, from the initial steps of planting shells to establish beds, to proper management and cultivation of shellfish grounds, to the fine details of the job, such as knowing the tides, and how the wind, or the moon, can affect them, to the details of the actual job of harvesting, and then what it takes to process them from muddy rocks into a delicacy at the table.

Since this 10 page chapter is like an instructional/informational chapter, I've decided to try to have this single chapter published as a pamphlet/brochure, and sell it for about 5 dollars per copy at the local oyster roast restaurant. Since so few visitors actually understand what's involved in the whole process of shellfish, this booklet would be a good thing. I found a local company that can print the brochures for about $2.50/copy. I think this is a better approach than trying to go through a publisher, as by doing it myself, I am in control of how many copies are printed, and how much I will make per copy.

Right now, I'm going with just 50 copies, to see how it goes at first. But hopefully, it will go well, and they will sell quickly, and I can start ordering a little more, and eventually, it should be a steady stream of additional income for me. Then, at some point, possibly try again with the actual book that this one chapter is an excerpt from.

But if anyone here has some inside knowledge on publishing, etc, I'd be glad to gain a little insight from you!

Latest posts