Motor Recommendation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcritch

Reaction score
I have a 1236 G3 Jon Boat and I wanted some opinions on what size gas motor wouold be a good fit. I use the boat mostly on small lakes and I currently have a Minn Kota 45lb Electric motor.

I've seen the following motors for sale:
2003 5HP Mercury - $600
1994 6HP Yamaha - $625 (Long Shaft)
1992 8HP Nissan - $450
2003 9.9HP Yamaha - $1200 (Long Shaft)

I'm thinking the 8HP Nissan. Thoughts???????

I believe I also need to stick with a short shaft motor correct?

You could get a long shaft, and put it on a jacking plate of some sort, or run it deep, and lose speed, but on a 12 footer, I wouldn't advise either. That leaves the merc and the Nissan. You get more motor for the money with the Nissan. Are either of them 2 stroke? Nissans make fairly good motors these days, and have a pretty good reputation. I don't know off the top of my head when they first came into production, and how well they were back in '92, but I think you should be good off. Merc, well, lets not go there. They are good motors to most, but I have my reasons.

Anyway, my money would be on the Nissan. Even if you had all 4 motors, with the shaft lengths they have now, but the price was the same, the year was the same, and the brand was the same, I would say the 8 horse short shaft would be the best for your boat.

Good Luck!

Thanks Bassboy. The Merc is a 2 stroke, not sure about the Nissan.

Here's a video and pic of Nissan:

https://s58.photobucket.com/albums/g246/Lagoonrider/?action=view&current=MOV03432.flv

https://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL583/4074976/19421816/312034501.jpg

Ok. I would advise checking out the 2003 5hp Mercury. See how it runs when you are there, and check out its condition. If everything is good make an offer for $475 or 500 and see what happens. Remeber cash is king. Hope everything goes good. Or if you want to spend more money with jack plates and stuff then go with the 9.9 Yamaha IF its a 4 stroke.

That Nissan sure sounds like it runs good. Also looks like it's pumping water good and nice and clean under the cover. I'd like that motor and I don't even have a boat to put it on. Good luck with your choice.

Thanks Guys. I'm still undecided on which motor, the Merc or the Nissan. I think the Merc is a little over priced. If I can get him down I may go with that one. (I like newer equipment) If not I'll go with the Nissan.