GPS - Land and Marine Navigation?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chief2

Reaction score
I want to add a GPS to my boat. I also want to be able to use it in my car, too. Could I do both with one GPS unit like a Garmin 52ML that takes a microSD slot card, and just purchase the marine nav slot card to dump the marine info. into the device?

I have a Garmin GPSMap76Cx. It has basic maps for water navigation but they are upgradable via microSD. It has some built in terrestrial mapping as well. Depending on how serious of map detail you need it might work right out of the box. I have used mine off the Jersey Coast, on a couple inland lakes and it was my backup to line-of-sight navigation on a week long boat rental in the Bahamas. This is without any upgrades.

That particular model is discontinued but I'd wager there is something with similar features still produced.

I have several large impoundments near me. I also would like to take the boat when I visit a son in Wilmington, N.C. and use it in some of the tidal creeks for trout and redfish. Often, all the coves, creek outlets and such look a lot alike and I want to be able to get back to where I put in safely.

The terrestrial GPS that takes the slot cards might work, but the cards are not cheap, and the way the regions are broken up it might take more than one card, if it works! $$$

Latest posts