Newbie Needs Advice HELP!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King Louis

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am new to this Site. Already Addicted.

Im fairly green in terms of Motor knowledge.

Im looking to buy a used 15hp for my 14 Lowe Aluminum V-Hull Boat weighs about 100lbs or so, and I weigh about 140lbs. I have no mods to the boat, keeping it simple. A few rod and reels, 2 coolers and rod holders, mask and spear gun. Along with 1 other person.

Should I shoot up to a 20hp? I like a little speed and power.

I also plan on being in the Florida Keys and fishing the Gulf Side flats, bays and on calmer days near the bridges and free dives on reefs around 20 ft of water ( I'm a maniac when it comes to how I fish)

Anyway, I was wondering if some experts may lend me some advice regarding the power of a 15hp motor for my desired type of fishing? I have seen plenty of videos, and from what I see, 15hp moves around 20-23mph with 2 people

Will this be enough?

Anyway, Thanks in advance for any advice!

15 will do just fine, 20 will be better when bringing a friend. :)

I would keep an eye on the weight of the outboards you are looking at. Depending on brand, model and year a 15 and a 20 can turn out to have the same engineblock. If that's the case, then I would go for the 20 rather then the 15.

Thanks for the info.

The current Motor I am looking at is a 1977 Johnson 15hp.

From what Ive read apparently a 9.9 from XX-XX can be converted to a 15hp by changing a carburetor.

pretty novice with boat engines though.

You will find that any and all brands use the same block on at least two HP engines from around 8 HP and up. My own Honda BF50 share block with BF40, and my dads Suzuki 80 HP shares block with both 70 HP and the 90 HP etc. This makes a lot of sence from a costperspective, but especially on smaller boats the weight of your outboard (and in fact the weight of everything else as well) plays a big role in how the boat rides, not to mention how easy it is to handle while on land. A few kilos dosen't matter, but 20 kg defenitely does.

I have no knowledge of the outboard you are looking at though, I'm simply to young beeing a -78 myself. :)

Thanks for that info. I am a firm believer in acting the age you wish to be!

Most likely the reason Im single...but hey, thats for a different forum.

I happened to stumble upon a 1993 15hp johnson looking really clean and running strong. Picking it up in the morning.

Ill do one final leak check in the boat, and then give her a test run. (with paddles on board)

Still working on a name for the tin...

Here are some pics thus far...I left it primed grey I used Rustoleum autoprimer...took a few coats on the outside did not hold as well as the inside....7 cans later...

I also made an 8 rod-rod holder from pvc...I designed it to go over the motor so I may troll behind me as I pretend I have a bigger boat :D . In theory it works...well see moving forward.

I also completely over spent on needless ideas in my mind. (Hence the 8 rod holders.) I think I only have 6 rods that work...One will be used for my Pirate Flag.

Anyhow, I appreciate the 2 gents that gave me some tips. Definitely helped. Im in South East Florida Boca Raton...Youre both invited to join me fishing anytime.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,703
  • image(1).jpg
    image(1).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,703
You are very welcome. :) (Me beeing in Norway makes popping over for a quick fishingtrip a bit troublesome, but thanks anyway. Should you ever find yourself around Oslo, let me know.)

I have four rodholders permenantly mounted in in my 4-meter boat, but when trolling with planerboards I have a trollingbar with 8 more rodholders. Add to that the two on my downrigger and I end up with a total of 16 if fully rigged... I never troll with more then 10 rods, usually between 2 and 5, depending on local rules. My point is that it's quite handy to have more rodholders then rods, since it allows you to move your rods around.

Don't forget to pick up a vhf radio if your going out in the ocean. If it doesn't float attach it to you. Cell phones won't work if they get wet.next to your pfd itis the most iimportant safety device

Latest posts